Chapter Seventeen: Harsh Awakenings

The sun rose early that morning, encouraging both Will and Regina to rise. Their plan was set. Before Robin and the rest of his men woke, Will would take her down to the market and buy a more suitable outfit for traveling.

Making her bed so the blankets were tucked under the pillow, Regina turned to watch Robin sleep, his back to her. He'd been asleep ever since she set foot in the room last night. But maybe it was for the better. If he had been awake, who knew what kind of argument they'd get to.

Sheets rustled, breaking the silence that had once been. "Gina?" Roland croaked, making her turn around to find the small boy rubbing his eyes. Quietly, she knelt next to his cot, letting her fingers run through his hair.

"Hey there." She whispered, kissing his cheek. "Go back to sleep okay? I'll be right back." Roland's eyes fluttered as she tucked him back underneath his blanket, smoothing his hair over before slipping out the door to meet Will at the stair steps.

"Hungry?" He asked, glancing his shoulder to make sure she was following close behind.

"Not really." Regina replied, glancing out the window as she passes. Today seemed like a busier day than yesterday, making her a bit edgier.

Popping a piece of bread into his mouth, Will smirked. "More for me." He mumbled, brushing past the empty counter and pausing at the door. "Ready to go?" Will asked, arching an eyebrow. Regina nodded, rubbing her hands together. "Remember to stay really close. Crowds can get bad."

"I can handle it." Regina snapped, stepping outside after Will.

***

Robin woke late that morning with Roland pressed against his chest. Behind him he could hear his men gently moving around and packing up for today's move. Robin dreaded seeing Regina. Dreaded seeing that pained look on her face, the one he knew meant she felt it too.

Turning slowly, Robin counted his men as they shuffled around, unaware that he was awake. They were packing, almost ready to leave. But two people were missing.

"Where's Will?" Robin grumbled as he slowly sat up. "And Regina?" His men looked around in confusion, just now noticing the two missing people.

"Maybe they went out?" Moore suggested. "Maybe she needed some fresh air. Being cooped up can be hard if you aren't used to it." Robin frowned before sitting up. His men knew. How did his men know? Robin had made sure he was the only one who had seen the flyer last night. Regina's origin couldn't slip out to the men. Who knows what they would think? How they would treat her.

Probably something similar to the way I treated her.

Robin closed his eyes, biting down on his lip. "What do you mean 'if you're not used to it'?" Robin pondered, not bothering to look at his men as he stood.

"Well she's taken Queen Cora's spot on the throne which means that her highness was once a princess. The palace must be huge. A stuffy closet like this would make someone like her go mad."

Robin frowned, shaking his head. "We've gotta find her. Especially with that price over her head."

***

The crowds were dense and the noise was overwhelming. Regina stuck right by Will's side, clutching his elbow as they wove through the mass of people.

"You alright?" Will called, looking down at her as if she were a child. "We can stop for a moment if you'd like." But Regina shook her head with determination.

"The sooner we get this through, the sooner we can return." She reasoned, stumbling as an elbow connected with her back. Regina jolted forwards into the crowd from the force, departing from Will. Panicked, Regina turned to see she had been swallowed up by a moving force of people, being pushed and jabbed in a crowd of merchants and peasants. "Will!" She shrieked as panic rose in her chest. Her heart pounded against her chest. If someone else were to recognize her for the Queen, who knows what'd they do. Being with Will- or any of the other Merry Men- meant she was safe. "Will!"

Regina tried to fight back, pushing against the wave of people, but it was no use. She fell, landing on her back as people walked over her. One foot crushed her hand, making her yelp from the pain.

***

The ideas of what would happen to Regina haunted Robin as he walked in the direction of the market place. There were going to be crowds of people trying to get home and stick up before winter, creating more of a problem with finding Regina. Someone could separate her from Will and do anything to her.

But he wouldn't let that happen.

"Do you want to split up?" Little John asked, eyeing the crowd in front of him. "I could work my way up to the end of the market place by the valley if you wanted to look down here."

Robin nodded, squinting against the morning sun. "Seems fair." He muttered. "If you find her- Will too- meet me back by the oak trees." Robin instructed as he rolled his shoulders. Little John took the instructions carefully before splitting off the path.

Where would a princess go? And most likely, where would Will take her? They had plenty of food, and Will knew not to waste his money on something like that. Robin also trusted that Will wouldn't turn her in. As a part of the Merry Men, even if he was the newest addition, Will could be trusted.

But after over an hour of searching, Robin began to loose hope. His nerves were shot. Regina's safety was the only thing on his mind. He shouldn't have left her last night. He shouldn't have yelled and overreacted. He shouldn't have stood there with a glare plastered on his face while she cried in front of him. As she sought out comfort that Robin would've gladly given. All he wanted now was her in his arms. For her to be safe and away from the castle.

And that's when it clicked. Robin realized he'd do anything to protect the Queen. Not for her status. But for the idea of her well-being and happiness.

Hey guys! So I've started back writing, obviously. I wish I could've made this chapter longer for you all- the longer the chapter, the happier I am- but I'm still struggling with a little bit of writers block and I love me a good cliffhanger. Where's Regina? Is he okay? Oohhh... New feelings with Robin. All that good stuff. Please don't forget to give me feedback! It really really helps me write the upcoming chapters! Thanks so much and hope to have you back next Friday!