Chapter 6

// Sadie //

I groaned and reached blindly for my phone which I found was under my pillow. I peeked an eye open to see what I was doing before pressing the 'accept' button. "Hello?" I mutter pushing my phone up to my ear.

"Hey Sadie,How are you?" I hear my mothers soft voice call out. I smile slightly. "Oh I'm good mom. Great to hear from you. We haven't talked since I've been on tour have we?" I ask sitting up. "No we haven't..." She sighs a little.

My mom has always been there for me when I've needed her...Well almost always I suppose. Well actually...She didn't pay me any attention until I tried to commit suicide. Then we started to have better communication and we started to actually form a relationship. But I've come to know that I'm more of a charity case and more of a bump in the road for my mom than I am a daughter. We're civil towards one another but it's often awkward between us.

"So,Um. How are. Rob and Maggie?" I ask. Rob and Maggie are our neighbors.They're an elderly couple who we've known since we moved into our current house a year ago.

"Actually,Neither Rob or Maggie are doing so well..." She mutters. I furrow my brows. "What's going on?" I ask. "Well,Rob fell down the porch steps when he was leaving his house the other day and now he's got a broken hip which obviously isn't good." She sighs. "And Maggie is so upset because of it. She can't stop crying and shaking,Her breathing is uneven and her blood pressure is skyrocketing by the minute so she's in the hospital with him. It's just not looking very well for either of them." She sighs.

"I'm so sorry." I mumble. "Yeah it's alright." She says. "Oh but I've got good news though,I've found myself a man." She laughs. I roll my eyes before trying to sound perky. "That's good mom...So how's Aymie doing?" I ask thinking back to the other night.

"Oh,Well I haven't seen much of her the past few days. Haven't heard anything from her either-"

"I did the other night. She was drunk." I blurt. "Have you checked in on her at all?"

"No. You know how Aymie is. She's always been into drinking and partying and now that she's 19 there ain't no stopping her." She laughs. "I figure she's probably alright where she is. Anyways on to my new man." She giggles. "He's handsome,Strong,Rich. Oh he's just a dream." She breathes.

I bite my lip and shake my head slightly. Mom is always out finding a new man. She hasn't been married since dad,But she's been dating since two months after he passed. Mom's goal in life seems to be to find a man and she's found several of them,But she never sticks with one.

"So anyways Sadie,I just called to check in on you...You're okay right?"

"I'm fine mom."

"I know but...Are you really? I just don't want another incident to happen-"

"Mom." I growl through clenched teeth. "I'm.Fine. Listen I have to go but it we great talking to you. Bye!" I hang up without giving her a chance to talk. I'm obviously not an easily angered person but the very thought of my mother makes me upset.

I love her but I also resent her a lot. She was never the best mother and sadly I know she never will be. All she did through out my childhood,After dad's death was sleep around and abandon me and Aymie to spend time with her friends and boy toys. When dad was alive she did basically the same thing. She often left me and Aymie with him while she went out clubbing or golfing or shopping. We never were allowed to go anywhere with her as in her words 'We'd just be a bother'

When it did come time for her to spend time with her kids,She focused her attention on Aymie. I was always left in the dark as she played with Aymie and spoke to her nicely. When it came time for her to talk to me,It was always to nag me and tell me I was getting fat or that I was bugging her with my 'constant whining' which was only me trying to get at least a little of her attention.