Chapter 37

// Sadie //

"Oh I'm glad you're in here." Aymie smiles as I open her room door and step in. "This one or this one?" She asks holding up different shirts. I slam her door shut and send her a glare before crossing my arms over my chest. Her smile soon turns into a frown and she throws her shirts onto her bed. "What's the matter?" She asks.

"I thought we were supposed to tell each other everything." I growl. "We're best friends and we're sisters too. How could you keep such a big secret from me?!" I ask.

"What are you talking about? Oh...God did you find out about that night in Vegas? Look,It was before I got into this relationship and it meant nothing and honestly-" "No shut up." I cut her off. I'll have to remember to ask her about that later. "I'm talking about you dropping out of high school! Why did you do that? And why would you not tell me? I could've helped you. I could've talked you out of that-"

"I didn't want you to,That's the thing." Aymie sighs. "School just wasn't for me. And I know everyone feels like that and I know that nobody really likes school but it was just...It was not for me. It was a living hell for me,Not because there was anyone there bullying me. Not because I had to wake up early. Not because it consumed too much of my time. I didn't care about any of that. And I'll be honest with you. I didn't mind the work. I would've done homework for hours without a complaint. I would've done all my work in class without a complaint-"

"Why didn't you then?" I ask.

"Because...I didn't understand it. I tried so hard every year. I did my best. I studied,I got tutored by several people,I listened in class. I did everything and all I could get was C's and D's. I worked harder then anyone and I still barely managed. It made me feel so stupid and after a while I got sick of trying. The teachers thought I was dumb. They'd tell me 'Aymie,Work harder. Aymie,Try your best!' And they didn't realize that I was. I was really giving it 100 % and...And I was still making bad grades. So I just gave up." She shrugs.

"Why didn't you tell me you were struggling so much?" I ask.

"You were going through enough as it was. And then things started looking up for you and I just wanted you to be happy. I couldn't imagine going to you with my problems because you would've stopped enjoying your life to help me with mine." She shakes her head. "I'm sorry I'm such a fuck up." She sighs. "I wish I hadn't disappointed you. I really can't take the feeling of disappointing you."

"Aymie,If you think I'm disappointed in you because you dropped out...I'm not. I'm really not. I'm really upset with you because you didn't tell me the truth though. Honesty is everything to me and you know that. I can't stand being lied to." I say,Bringing her into a hug.

"I know. I'm sorry. I just wanted you to be proud of me for once."

"I've always been proud of you."

"Please." She huffs,Pulling away. "There's nothing at all to be proud of."

"Yes there is. I can name a thousand things that you should be proud of. You stick up for yourself,You're insanely fun. You're popular with everyone you meet and you're incredibly nice. Unless someone tries you of coarse." I giggle.

"Yeah. Well. Where's any of that gonna get me in life?" She asks. "You graduated high school and you went to college. You've got yourself a nice steady job. I'm just living from day to day."

"Yeah,You're doing what you're supposed to. You're 19 Aymie. Why do you think you should have your life together yet? I know it seems like I've got my life together,But I honestly am living from day to day myself. And that's okay. Honey we are young. I'm in my mid twenties and you're still a teen. We've both got a long way to go before we can become in control of our lives. In fact,A lot of people in their forties aren't sure what their next step is. It's okay." I smile. "And stop comparing yourself to me. We've got an age gap. We're six years apart. It's okay if we haven't got the same things going on in life."