Chapter 4 - I wanted...

Sleep had over powered my eyes to such an extent that it became impossible to open them. The exhaustion of yesterday and the sleepless night and the journey had taken a toll on me completely. I didn't realize that I had been sleeping for so long. I heard a vague sound of something like a bell. I raised my head a little to listen to it properly and it came again. Yes someone was at the door and was buzzing the bell god knows for how long.

Was it Manik? I thought as I looked at my watch. It was quarter past 6. Manik might not come this early. It had to be maid that he had told me about. I got up from the bed struggling to keep my eyes open and slothed towards the door.

The bell rang twice meanwhile I battled to open it.

"Hang on!!! Give me a minute." and finally the damn thing did open.

"Hello", a vaguely familiar face greeted me.

"I am Mrs. Neerja Ahmed. I live next door" (pointing to the flat where I saw her last). "Actually this is Manik's annual building maintenance receipt that he forgot to collect." she added handing me a cover.

"Ohh Thank you..I am Nandini ."

"So you are Manik's friend?" She asked politely." I hope you don't mind me asking that actually I have never seen Manik get a girl home."

Her sudden query made me alert within a nano second and I was all geared up to deal with it.

"No please its okay..yes i am his friend...amm I am new in the city so he just offered to help.", I concluded her query not wanting to divulge into further details about our hush hush idea. Although I loved her for informing me that Manik never got a girl home before and my butterflies were back to their dancing mode.

I suddenly thought that it was actually impolite the way I stood guarding the door and thus invited her in for some coffee, more than her I needed it. She agreed and we had a little chit chat whilst that. Though she didn't ask much about me but told that she worked for an NGO and lived alone after she lost her husband to cancer 4 years back. She seemed sweet and caring when she offered me to call on her for any kind of help any time. Manik was such an idiot he had such nice neighbors whom he chose not to mingle with and then he could almost turn the world upside down to be with a girl who confessed her feelings for him on internet. He was indeed insane.

She left after a while and I relaxed a bit. It was quarter past 7 and still there was no trace of the maid. Manik would be home soon and I had to cook. I didn't really know what he liked and all besides I was not great a chef either so decided to play safe and make simple stuff. I was amazed at my own initiative towards these chores. I had never bothered to cook or to even visit the kitchen back home. Suddenly something struck me.

Yes it was supposed to be engagement today had I been in Ahmedabad. What would be happening there? Mom Nanu, Had they informed everyone?. I was getting anxious to know. I wanted to talk to mom but honestly I didn't have the courage I knew I had let them down.

Finally I gathered my courage and called mom. The phone was answered

"Mom", I said in a very soft tone which was hardly audible even to me.

"Why have you called?", she replied in a tone which was bereft of any emotion.

"Mom I am.."

"I asked why have u called?"

"Mom please listen to me I know you are angry, I have let you down but.."

"Really Nandu I am amazed you still have an excuse to defend yourself... you cant even imagine what humiliation and embarrassment we have gone through because of you..still now guests are coming thinking that there is an engagement supposed to be happening in this house... Do you have any idea how we are facing them", she paused for a moment and started again, "tell me the truth is about some guy? Huh!! Tell me Nandu are you with some guy. So now you choose to punish me like this for what I did to my parents. I have no right to ask an explanation from you right. I get back what I did to my parents", she started sobbing during the last few words.