Chapter 15 - The Day that Changed it All

I woke up with a jerk and found myself on the bed ALONE. He was not there. Where was Manik?? Did he leave me? But why?? He didn't even let me explain myself..In a spur of a moment a 1000 insecurities jumbled my mind. When my thoughts were interrupted by the most sought after voice of my life.

"Good Morning!!", I looked up to the voice who greeted me with the same love and affection.

Manik came into our room with a breakfast tray in his hand. He had the ever so soothing smile on his face. He kept the tray on the side table and sat in front of me while I looked at him blankly. He called me a few times and when I didn't respond to him he shook me by my arms to pull me out of my imaginations.

"What happened?? Are you there??"

I still didn't respond and was just looking at his face to differentiate between the Manik that I saw last night and the one who was present in front of me right now. He seemed okay in fact cheerful. But was he really alright or just pretended to be in front of me.

"Nandini!! Hello!! What happened to you ?? Are you okay??", he said softly half cupping my face and caressing my cheek with his thumb.

"Manik are you okay??", I asked him instead in a nervous tone

"Yes of course.. what's wrong with me?? I am perfectly fine" he sounded as happy and jovial as he always was, "You must be hungry..we skipped the dinner because of the drama last night.. it might not be as good as yours but I think I have made some decent coffee and sandwiches..try"

"How did I get here..", I could vaguely remember last night we had slept of in the store room in each others arms.

"Who else.. I got you here"

"Manik I am sorry..I didn't know about..", I began in an apologetic tone

"Nandini lets leave it there.. now you know everything so that's that..one request please stay away from her. Don't let her come in between us."

I listened to him silently. I wanted to assure him that I will always be with him. I will never hurt him. But there was something that held me back. All of a sudden I felt I was getting weak with words.

"Manik I want to tell you something.", finally I managed to mumble some.

"Yeah tell me anything..except that one.. you know.."

"Manik I...I..", I stopped as I could not find more words to proceed. He could read the restlessness in my eyes.

"Whats wrong with you..are you sure you are fine??.. Nandu I know I went a little over board last night but trust me I am not mad at you", although I felt relieved listening to his words but yet I was worried.

"But why are you leaving for office so early..." I grabbed his hand tightly; I didn't want him to leave me.

"Madam in case you didn't realize its 9 already.", he said turning his wrist to show me his watch.

I leapt out of the bed and rambled incessantly, "I am sorry I am late ..I know you dont like being late..I will get ready in 15 minutes please please."

"Nandu relax...why are you panicking so much ..it's okay..anywaysI am not going to AURA now, I have hell lot of meetings lined up today. You do one thing take your time and come, I will ask someone to pick you up." he said on a calm and soothing tone.

I had every reason to panic but how could I make him understand that. The guilt was engulfing me slowly. There was so much for him to deal with. His emotional breakdown had shaken me to the core. I didn't know how I could have him the way he was before last night. Amongst all this there was something equally important that was triggering me. I had to talk to him.