Chapter 7 - The Present

Present day in Ahmedabad

Amidst all the guests around I somehow managed to escape everyone's eyes and take the stairs to go to my room. The lehenga(dress) was giving me a tough time; it was somewhat equivalent to my own body weight. God knows what joy Mom got by punishing me like this. Not only was the weight, the length of it none the less troublesome. I tripped at every second step; the first two fingers of both my hands were engaged in managing the cumbersome garment on me. But there was something more important that needed my attention. I had to talk to Dhruv. There was no way that I could meet him now but I had to talk to him, it was urgent. How could he be so stupid when I had warned him like some 10000 times? I took my cell phone and called him. He picked the call and before he could utter a word I erupted at him.

"Dhruv you idiot..How can you be so stupid? When I had asked you to be careful with Manik around, how could you be so reckless?"

Dhurv was clueless of what I was talking about and as he figured out he started fumbling as usual but I was in no mood neither had the time to listen to his silly excuses.

"Do you have any idea that Manik has spotted you guys and now if he chooses to blabber this in front of Nanu or Mom we are gone and trust me if this happens, I will leave the complete mess on you to sort out. My life already has enough problems and you are not helping me one bit with your idiotic behavior."

Dhruv was already a feeble hearted guy and the way I blasted him, I could feel he would break into tears at any moment and the last thing I wanted in my life now was to be consoling a crying 25 yr old. So I calmed myself a bit and started again.

"Look Dhruv.. please try to understand, you have to be careful!! very careful!!. We can't let things go haywire at this moment okay and from now on you will do exactly as I say."

I hung up the phone. Although I had asked Dhruv to work according to my instructions but with that monster around me my own thinking capabilities had gone for a toss. I had to deal with Mom, Nanu, Dhruv, his parents and now Manik was also there to add to my problems. I looked at the ceiling and cursed my stars for making me go through all of this that too at such a time when I needed to relax and stay away from stress. As I was busy in my own terrible lala land, I sensed someone sneering at my back; I got scared and immediately turned around to find my personal Monster smirking at me.

"What are you doing here Manik? Have you lost it? Didn't I ask you to stay away from me and please get out of my room", I tried to push him backwards as I fumbled more with every word I said and dreading since how long was he there. Had he overheard my conversation with Dhruv. Although I was sure I had not given any details of my plan in the conversation but even the slightest clue was enough for Manik to get going with his suspicion regarding Dhruv and me.

As I tried to push him out of my room he clasped both my hands in his left palm and wrapped his right hand around my waist and pulled me closer to him.

"Hello baby, how are you doing now? Have you eaten anything since morning?" He said with his signature grin.

He had never addressed me by any nick name. It was always Nandini for him or maximum he would go up to Nandu during our make outs and this entire mushy baby, honey, sweetie stuff was so not him. Then what suddenly made him appear so sweet to me.

"Okay baby so Mommy is troubling you, I know she is very difficult but don't worry Daddy's here and he knows how to deal with your Mommy", he was actually talking to my tummy.

I gasped at his behavior. My heart beat stopped as he did that. So I was not wrong he had come to know of it that I was still pregnant. But how?? Who told him??