Three

I went back and forth trying to decide what to do about Monday's appointment. I knew I should cancel it but I didn't want to. Say what you will, it wasn't an easy decision. I knew where Kristie stood and it was as far away from Dr. Clemens as she could get. I needed another opinion but the problem was that there weren't very many people I was willing to share the intimate details of my sex life with. Another gay man would have been perfect but all my acquaintances would say to go for it without even really considering it. It took me two days to realize that I had to talk to Jeremiah.

Trust me, I did not come to this decision lightly. First, Jeremiah is straight. Second, he's older than me and much more mature. Mostly. Third, we didn't really talk about this sort of thing. He was fine with my sexuality, don't get me wrong, but I didn't usually push intimate details in his face. Somehow though, he was the only one I could think of to help.

I ordered pizza to entice him over to my place and help butter him up. He was more than happy to come over, he is one of my best friends after all. It took half an hour but finally he got impatient waiting for me.

"Out with it" he demanded, kicking his shoes off and taking over my couch. He always seemed so much bigger than me even though he really wasn't a very big guy.

"What?"

"Come on Chris, you did NOT invite me over here for nothing. I know you've missed me in the oh, 3 days since we've seen each other but I think you could have managed to wait until our meeting tomorrow. So what's up?"

"I uh, I need your advice." Maybe this was a bad idea. Maybe a really bad idea.

"Okay, I'm listening."

And he was. That's what I loved about Jeremiah. He gave you his 100% undivided attention, always.

"Something sort of weird happened the other day and I don't know what to do about it."

He looked at me as if to say 'Your entire life is weird'. "Weird as in....???"

"Um, I need guy help. Do you mind helping me with something uh, well, um, oh screw it, it's about sex. Maybe. About a guy."

"Oh, you had me worried. Not sure I can help much with the sex part though, you know a LOT more than I do about all that, buddy. Do I need to kill him? Pretend to be your brother? Your boyfriend? What?"

"I'm not sure whether or not to see him again."

"Oh, well that seems like something only you can decide. Without any details, I'd say that if you're not sure, don't."

"Well I want to. It's not *that*, really Jeremiah, it's more that I'm scared to. And I probably should be, maybe. He's not really my type."

"Your type hasn't exactly worked all that well for you so far" he said bluntly. "If you're scared maybe it's because he's shaken you up? And it seems like you've been waiting for that, for someone to get under your skin."

"Maybe."

"It's why you go through guys like I go through razor blades" he said, stroking his beard. "I need a trim. That was a bad analogy. Anyway, what do you have to lose? Did you have a good time with him?"

"Um, yeah, yeah I did."

"And he wants to see you again?" he asked. "I don't see the problem. What did Kristie say?"

I loved that he knew I'd told her. It was just a given. "She said hell no."

"Oh, tricky. Well I'd probably go with her advice then, I don't really know anything. Of course, if you were going to listen to her, I wouldn't be sitting here right now. Am I right?"

I felt properly chastised. He knew me so well. "Maybe."

"You're so tongue tied. Weird. Look Chris, if you're looking for an excuse I'll give you one. I just don't get why Kristie said no."

"She knows him and ---"

"OOOh, you should listen to her then. There are lots of other fishes in the big gay sea."

"He isn't a fish, he's a killer whale."

"She worried you'll get your heart broken?"

"And everything else I think. Yeah."

"Well maybe you're due. It's been awhile Chris. Rollercoasters are fun every now and then, right? I just don't see you backing down from this. I think your mind is already made up and you want permission or something. So go. One more date. And after that if you're still not sure, maybe you should listen to Kristie."

"That's good advice, Jer, thank you."

"Of course it is!" he bellowed. Granted he bellowed a lot, it was hard not to with that voice.

After he left I actually sat down and wrote a pro/con list. It went something like this:

Pros -- Sex, sex, excitement, fun, sex

Cons -- He's crazy, maniac, danger, I could die.

You'll never guess what I decided.