Fifty One

I didn't go home though, I went to Kristin's. I didn't really purposefully make the decision, the car sort of headed there on its own and I decided that it was a good idea even if I hadn't thought of it. I needed some back up, someone to help me get rid of the nagging feeling in the back of my head that I was being a jerk. She would be THRILLED with this development and I needed that.

"Chris?" she asked, opening the door. "You okay?"

"Can I come in? I need to talk. About Greg."

"I will KILL him! Get in here loverboy. Wine?"

"Oh yes." I followed her into the kitchen and knew exactly what to do; we had a system. It was nice to feel comfortable in someone else's house again. I grabbed the glasses while she picked a bottle, then I opened it and poured while she grabbed snacks. Soon we were on the couch.

"He's autistic." It felt weird to even say the words.

"No he's not. I've met him, remember?"

"He has Aspergers or something."

"Well THAT'S certainly possible, sure. He hides it well but I only ever knew him as a doctor and most of them are aloof and rude, so hey, he fits right in."

"I guess you're not wrong about that. He had a freaking meltdown this afternoon and that's how I found out. I have no idea what to do about it. I mean, HOW could he not tell me?"

"Wait, did you leave him alone?"

"No, Kevin and Ollie are there, why?"

"Well I just would worry, I guess. When Eric has fits they're usually bad."

I was a moron, a certifiable moron. "I forgot that Eric has it." How in the world could I forget that her boyfriend's brother was autistic? I'd never met him but Jeremy had certainly talked about him before. "I didn't mean to be rude or anything, I'm just in shock."

"No worries babe. So what now? You're awfully freaked out. Was he violent or something? Eric throws things constantly."

"No, no, he just locked himself in his room. He didn't do anything except yell but then he just cried. It was so scary though, and heartbreaking."

"They're not a fun thing to watch, that's for sure. So what's really wrong? It can't be just that, you're pretty tough. You're sweating and you haven't touched your wine though so something is going on. Oh, the not telling you thing? Yeah, that's pretty shitty but I thought you guys didn't talk? Wasn't it just sex?"

My mouth dropped open and I bit back a thousand nasty responses. She didn't deserve them though, she was actually right even though it stung. "It... it just... it wasn't like that. I mean it was but... I trusted him."

"You'd have to... oh I see. And now you don't?"

"Exactly. And I thought that maybe eventually I mean I guess I sort of thought that he cared for me at least a little."

"I'm sure he does."

"He can't. Kevin said that he doesn't do emotion and he's right. Greg told me that he doesn't do boyfriends, that he doesn't do live-ins, that his relationships aren't the kind I want. A tiny part of me didn't listen though."

"But even Eric likes some people and not others. He must like you or he wouldn't spend time with you. And trust me, when Eric doesn't like someone everyone knows it.  Doc Clemens is obviously much higher-functioning than him though. He lives on his own, right? Kevin's not his roommate or helper or anything?"

"No, no, alone. I mean he does fine most of the time as long as you follow his rules and don't step outside his little boxes."

"Sounds right. Chris, I get that you're upset but I guess I just don't see how it changes things really? I hate that I'm saying this. I want to tell you to run, run away. But honey at least now you know where he stands and why, and probably how to communicate with him better. And if the sex is as amazing as you say, why does that need to change?"

"I don't know, it just has. It's just different and I can't explain it because it's just how I feel. Can we not talk about it? I just want to relax with my girl. Do you have a hot date later?"

"Actually I do. Jeremy will be here at six."

"I'll get out of your hair before then, promise."

"You'd better stay long enough to help me decide what to wear."

"You got it." I finally sipped at my wine then and tried to objectively think about everything that had happened "I guess I finally got my answers."

"To what sweetie?"

"I wanted to understand him. I mean I still don't really, I need to do some research but there IS an explanation and I guess that's a good thing. Should have been careful what I asked for."

"No sweetie, it's a good thing. It's always better to know."

"You're right, sorry, just thinking out loud." She snuggled up to me and lay her head on my shoulder. "Why can't I find a cute guy to snuggle with?"

"Because all you think about when you're planning your dates is the amazing sex you could be having with Greg?"

"He'll never be what I need."

"Nope. But he made that clear from the beginning didn't he?"

"Yeah, I guess. It's just so real now." I had just finished my glass when my phone chirped.

Dr. Love: Kevin here. He's asking for you. Want to stop over?

*** The End***

There are eleven, yes 11, more books. I'm going to post some more of them here but if you can't wait or would like to support my writing you'll have to hit Amazon. Links are in my profile. 😀