Sixteen

I shut the door behind me and put my hands on the edge of the sink cabinet to help steady myself.  When I raised my head to look into the mirror I felt like I was looking at someone else, or at a picture of myself.  My eyes were glossy, my skin slicked with sweat.  My hair, oh that was probably hopeless.  I lifted one hand to fix it but it was still shaking and all of a sudden that bothered me. 

The vanity had open shelving below it and was well stocked.  I looked over at the large shower and really, really wanted one so I stuck my head out the door.  "Sir?  May I take a quick shower?"

He was putting a new sheet on the bed and paused.  "Yes, go ahead."

I needed it.  First and foremost I was filthy but I just needed some time to put myself back together and to become me again.  I turned on the water although it took me a minute to figure out the different shower heads and settings.  I approved.  The towels were large, white and fluffy and I wandered back into the den well wrapped.  It was empty though, he had gone.

I slipped back into my clothes slowly, telling myself that next time I'd just wear my vetements or something since they'd feel better going on afterwards than my jeans did.  He'd left the bottle of water for me so I grabbed it and then made my way back towards the kitchen.  He was there, just a pair of sweatpants hanging low on his hips.  He was half bent over with his head in the fridge.  "Do you mind if I take the water?"

He righted himself, then leaned his head a bit to the side.  "Take it?  No, I don't mind."

"Alright.  Um, well... am I supposed to say 'thanks' or something? This is awkward.  I should go."

"Chris?  You're welcome to stay.  I was going to make you lunch."

He was WHAT?  If he had said that he loved me it wouldn't have been any stranger.  "Lunch?"

"Do you prefer brunch?  It's 1:14 though.  Regardless, food of some sort is in order.  Would you like to stay?"

"It's after one?"

"Yes Polly" he joked.

Okay, I had earned that with my witty comments.  "Whichever meal includes more of that coffee is fine with me.  I mean, if you want to feed me.  You don't have to."

"I'm aware of that.  Have a seat please."

Another cup of that amazing coffee appeared in front of me.  "Thank you."

"You're welcome.  How do you feel Pet?"

"Fine.  Well, how honest should I be?"

I had asked almost in passing but he put down the bowl he had taken out of the fridge and walked over behind me, spinning the stool so that I was face to face with him.  "You should always be 100% honest with me.  Always.  Whether you think I want to hear it or not.  Whether you're embarrassed or not.  Whether you're scared or not.  Understood?"

"Yes."  He looked at me a moment before backing away.  "Physically I'm fine.  I was sort of weirded out in the shower, like I wasn't me.  I don't know if that makes sense."

"It does and it happens to a lot of people, if that helps.  You had a lot of adrenalin flowing through your veins and coming off that high can be disconcerting."

I just nodded, it made sense.  "I'm still not sure about 'pet'" I said softly.

"Ah.  I could call you babe or baby but being compared to an infant probably isn't exactly ideal either.  I could call you honey but since it's basically bee vomit, that doesn't work for me.  Give me some other options."

"I never thought of 'baby' that way."

"And I don't think of you as a dog.  Others?"

"I'm drawing a blank."

"It can be your homework while you're gone.  Until you come up with something we can agree on, you're Pet.  It's a term of affection, nothing more."  He had been loading up a tray and brought it around the corner and into the living room.  "Want to have a picnic?"

"Yeah, sure."  He looked at me and I rephrased.  "That would be nice."

"I think that cute ass of yours will appreciate if we do it on the couch instead of the floor.  Make yourself comfortable and I'll turn on the television. "

"Thank you.  Do you hate this?"

"No.  I don't HATE spending time with you, or eating with you, or sitting on the couch with you.  Just don't think you can call me if you run out of gas or need an egg.  I'm not that guy."

"Got it."  I grabbed a grape, then quickly added "Sir."  The sandwiches were amazing and eventually we settled back and ate our chips while watching the news.

"You did really well today.  I'm proud of you for trying new things and am glad you could trust me.  I had a very good time."

"I did too.  It really was amazing."

"Is there anything you didn't like?"

"No, it was perfect.  I loved all of it."  I caught myself yawning and tried to hide it.  "I'm sorry."

"You have a good reason to be tired.  I like that I wore you out.  It's getting late though and I have things to do before this evening.  Why don't you get home and take a nap?"

"That sounds good."  I stood and carried my cup to the sink.  "Thanks again, for today."

"You are welcome in every possible way.  Text me when you're home safe."

"I will.  Good-bye."  I had to text Kristie too so that a swat team wouldn't show up here later and interrupt something that definitely shouldn't be seen by strangers.

"Good-bye Pet.  Have a safe trip."