Forty Eight

*** The last chapter was pretty rough, I'm sorry. I reread it this morning and thought 'WTF' and that's with me still sick so yeah, it was bad. I smoothed out some of the rough edges, sorry that y'all had to read that mess.

Put on your seatbelts.

I had been in place and ready 7 minutes early. I didn't want to have to wait long but I thought he might be antsy and I didn't want him to have to wait for me. I was worried about him because no matter what he said, the fact was that he hadn't cleaned up the dishes from last night and that was absolutely not like him. He hadn't even moved the trashcan out of the room; it was still sitting only about two feet from me. That bothered me, a lot, because I didn't think him having reminders of Eli was a good thing with what he'd promised. I had no idea what was up his sleeve but he'd said it would be more and I knew better than to doubt him.

I was fairly uncomfortable and time dragged by. It had to be at least noon by now, maybe even five after? I wished there was a clock in the room or that I could easily reach my phone. I decided to wait as long as it felt as I'd already been there before thinking about checking. I spread my legs a bit more and tried to get as comfortable as possible. If he was trying to make me crazy he was doing a good job.

I heard a door, then footsteps and I tried to relax. At least the waiting was over.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I'll... please tell Sir that I'll wait for a message."

I didn't recognize the voice and the words made no sense. My head flew up and my eyes opened and there was the man I now knew was Eli, from the restaurant. He had his head turned and wasn't looking at me and I took just a moment to stare. "I don't know where he is, he's late. What time is it?"

"Sir is never late. It's 12:18."

"Are you Eli?"

"Yes. Excuse me, please." He stepped back and I felt a bit like the answers to the universe were walking away from me.

"No, wait, please." I stood very carefully and pulled the folded blanket off the chair to wrap myself up. Suddenly I had no idea what to say. Sorry? For leaving Greg and your mother? Why? Why is he like he is? What are you doing here? Are you back together? "I... are you okay?"

"No, not really." He tried a timid smile but gave up the effort. "I'm glad he has you though. May I ask if you've been with him awhile or new?"

"A little while."

"Oh, you're the boy from the restaurant. I remember you now. Right? With the gorgeous date with the beard?"

"Yeah. I'm Chris."

"Well have fun with him. He asked me to stop over but it's obviously a bad time. I'll text him later."

"I have so many questions! Please, I don't know... I don't know... anything really." We both heard the door open at the same time and looked over. "Shit" I mumbled.

"Eli, your things are on the shoe bench. Get them and go."

"I'm sorry Sir, I came in the front door because the garage was full."

"And that wasn't a hint?" he almost growled. Eli didn't answer, just turned and disappeared. "What are you doing Chris? Get on the floor." I dropped to my knees. "Forgiveness."

"I'm sorry."

"You should be." He paced around me a few times, shadows moving across the floor. If time had stood still earlier it was moving even slower now. "God damn it Chris! Get up and go, I'll contact you later."

"Sir?"

"We have rules, rules that I have to follow and I am definitely mad. Go." He stormed over towards the white-knobbed door and closed it so hard the frame shook.

I made myself presentable in the bathroom and felt guiltier and guiltier as more time passed. He'd wanted to see me and had been looking forward to it. He'd been so worried last night about when he'd see me again and I'd managed to ruin it. Granted, Eli showing up had certainly thrown me for a loop but I should have known. If I'd just stayed on the floor and let him leave like I should have maybe I'd be having fun right now.

I crept over towards his door and knocked lightly. "Sir?" He didn't respond and I guess I wasn't surprised that he was going to make me work for it. I thought that maybe if I apologized and we spent a few minutes working things out and calming him down, maybe we could start again. It was still early and I knew he wouldn't be going to the club until much later. "Sir? I'm sorry. I know I messed up and it's my fault. I want to see you though, I promised you and I was looking forward to it. Can I wait or come back later maybe?"

My hand rested gently on the doorknob while I waited for an answer. He was never one to talk much but he'd always answered me. The only noise was a repetitive gentle banging, almost like a slow fan. And then I heard a sob and reacted without thinking. I turned the knob and opened the door.