11- Aces And Eights?

Groggy, I felt groggy and my body felt like it was made of lead. If I could I would have just sunk lower but I wanted to wake up. I needed to. My mind struggled to wake up my body sending shocks down my nerves trying to get blood flowing again. I’m pretty sure my heart had stopped, I felt like a zombie rising from the grave and I had to claw my way up through the dirt and break into the light.

With that thought I sat up in the bed tossing the blankets from me and staring out across the open room through an entire wall of stained glass. Shadow’s of plants showed through, slowly I looked around seeing that the wall wasn’t the odd one out. 

Every wall, even the ceiling was a beautifully crafted stain glass wall. It was all very breath taking and not something I was used to waking up to. I stretched my arms above my head and glanced to my left out the open double doors into another garden area. A metal table with two chairs sate empty with what looked like my cards.

They sat discarded on the top, With a quiet moan I slid from the bed and looked down at the silk pyjamas I had been wearing before I went nuts literally. I padded barefoot out across the room and out into the fading sunlit garden, I smiled at the scents that rolled up around me. 

I traced my hand over Raven’s hand and then his fathers, I turned the cards over and smirked. Raven was losing and the King was kicking ass. I felt my heart freeze as I turned over the Kings hand, Ace of heart, Eight of club, Ace of Spade, Eight of Diamond. Aces and eights, the king had been dealt a dead-mans hand by his own son. 

I pushed from the table running down the steps that led straight down into a winding staircase which opened into another corridor with red carpeting and matching drapery with warm coloured paintings adorning the walls. The cool stone bricks that were behind and underneath all of the fiery colours really made you feel a mixture of cool warmth. 

I sprinted down the corridor pausing only to scent for Raven and The King. They couldn’t be all that far off, I mean their scent was still fresh.

“Check on him later, I’m sure he’ll be back to new. Remember he isn’t as young as he used to be” Raven that was that rejects voice!

I ran in that direction, The cards never lied. He had dealt his father the dead-mans hand, the worst hand you could get in any game of cards. Raven was going to be the death of his father, I knew he would be. I stumbled around the corner and fell into somebody, arms quickly snaked around me and pulled me up against his chest. I growled instantly I knew who it was.

“Ra” I growled.

“Mila, what are you doing up?” He asked formally.

I pulled my arms up and pushed him back, “I was looking for you actually” I hissed watching his violet eyes go wide in surprise.

“Really?” he whispered tilting his head to the side.

“The cards, You dealt your father the Dead mans hand” I growled.

His hands grabbed my shoulders and shook my violently until if felt as if my brain was about to melt.

“What the hell do you mean Dead mans hand!” he shouted.

“Aces and Eights, their a dead mans hand. You gave your father a symbol of death”

His eyes filled with blind panic and fury, “What does that mean? What the hell is going to happen to my father?”

“He’s going to die, you're going to kill him” I hissed narrowing my eyes at him.

He let go of my shoulders and the panic fled his eyes, “I would never kill my father, Mila you are obviously still delusional from your episode earlier. You should go and rest” He was seething anger now.