20- Breaking Bones, And Fairy Hunters?

The forest was quiet, no chirping birds, chattering squirrels, and no breeze anymore. There was only the soft crunch of branches under foot as we moved past pines trees and oaks. The terrain began to grow steeper as we moved up one of the hills.

On the other side was a small ravine that was always just the right temperature that wasn’t warm but wasn’t cold. It was lined by a nice soft white sand beach with a beautiful view surrounding it. Bright tall deep green tree’s, so many different species that in fall made for quiet the picture perfect scene.

Jocey’s hand was so tight on mine I should have complained, my fingers were beginning to turn blue and I could feel her dull nails cutting into my palm. Nejri on the other hand kept his arm respectively hooked with mine.

I had been able to force the tears back for now, but with each step I took the more pain lanced up my body; like every time I moved I broke a bone. Yet somehow I was able to swallow back the fear, the pain, and the tears.

We reached the top of the hill and looked down to the beach, the sight there making my blood chill and my heart race. Not only did my Beasts realize what was before us but Jocey did as well. She gasped backing away slowly her free hand rising to cover her mouth. Below us camped out on the beach looked to be an entire crew of Hunters.

They had their weapons laid out around their dark brown tents. Long silver chains wrapped in barbed wire, guns, crossbows, nets, and a couple cages near their two large Ram trucks. Most of the men sat at foldable plastic tables cleaning their weapons. They were preparing for a hunt.

I struggled out of Joceys iron tight grip before dropping my knee’s my hands clasping at my chest as I opened my mouth in a silent scream. My beasts were trying to tear each other apart to get at the Hunters. Jocey dropped down next to me sliding her arms around my shoulders, feebly she tried to lift me to my feet. I shook my head pushing her away, when I turned to look at her face I found a new fear.

What I saw reflected in her eyes was something even I had never seen. My eyes had glazed over in a thick blackness that looked to move in dark swirls. My shadows were expanding rapidly, like cancer it was spreading through my body rapidly tearing apart everything.

“Jocey, go” I snarled at her shutting my eyes tightly.

Her hand pressed to my shoulder, I spun baring my teeth at her as a light growl rumbled from my lips.

“Mila…” She whimpered glancing down at the Hunters.

“I will take care of them, Just please-” I was cut off as my rib cage attempted to shift separately, the breaking bones cut and poked at the inside of my chest literally like pins and needles had filled my lungs.

I turned away from her spitting a fairly large amount of blood onto the forest floor, my hands pressed to my aching chest as the bones set back into place. Nejri knelt next to me hovering, obviously unsure of what he was supposed to do. His anxiety filled the air mixing with Jocey’s fear, both emotions only fueled the Beasts.

“Jocey go and find Garret” Nejri hissed waving her away.

“No, I won’t leave Mila” Her voice grew in strength but it still wavered.

I glanced over at the Hunters taking a deep breath in, “Both of you need to leave. I’ll deal with the Hunters” I hissed pushing to my feet.

They both rose with me shaking their heads nearly in unison, Jocey’s light blue eyes had become a cold grey. She was truly frightened, then again the last time we had seen each other Hunters had shown up and nearly killed me. She wouldn’t leave me again, her wolf would make sure of that. I looked over at Nejri and felt a tightness grow in the pit of my stomach.