35-Sticks and Stones Break more than Bones?

I stood at the top of the stairs tears pricking at my eyes, Jevvinii stood at my side her hand clutching the skirt of my dress. We were waiting for Raven to return. It had been an entire week, an entire week he had been in and out of the castle on business. I was worried about what the guards or even Jhebrets stand in would tell either of them.

The dress I wore was long sleeved, long skirt, and I even had a head wrap on holding my unruly hair back out of my face. I hated the way I was dressed by it was the only way to hide the bruises, the cuts, and the burns from Raven or any of the nosy guards.

“Mila?” Jevvinii whispered stepping closer to my leg; I placed my hand lightly atop her head afraid to touch her.

Three council men walked into the room below us chatting amongst themselves, then all three paused and looked up at me their eyes narrowing in as sadistic smiles made them more like Demons than Fae. My lower back muscles spasmed and the pain dropped me to my knees. Jevvinii gasped and went to help me up but stopped herself.

“Your face.” She cried stumbling away from me.

I didn’t know what she was seeing but she had never looked at me that way before, Jevvinii knew what I was capable of, she understood the power I had dwelling inside of me and how evil it could get. Hell she had faced Shebragh- Banshee’s with a straight face, I didn’t want to know what I looked like.

“I’m fine, why don’t you go and see if Ravens outside. He may be taking his time again.” I shooed her off down the stairs as I fought to catch my breath.

“Is everything alright Lady Mila” I looked up at one of the councilmen and bit back a growl.

It took me a few moments to swallow my anger and find that control, “Fine, I’m fine.” Stubbornly I pushed to my feet and attempted to walk but found the ground was to unsteady.

“You do not look alright, maybe you should lie down.”

“Raven’s due back any second now.” I hissed my hands tightening on the railing.

His hand flattened against my back, “You really do not look well.” He pressed.

Anything is a hell of a lot, do you know what we’re doing? My panther questioned. Of course I knew what I was doing, I was protecting what I could using the only pawn I had left. I would not be protected or sheltered by anybody, much less the Fae who called himself my mate.

I glanced down the stairs at Jevvinii, the front doors scraped open slowly and Raven walked in morning light streaming in behind him. They would destroy everything I loved.

“Thank you, I believe some rest would do me well.” I whispered shutting my eyes.

“Mila!” Raven called his voice echoing up the stairwell.

The councilor pressed his hand firmly at the small of my back pushing ever so lightly causing burning spikes of fire to shoot up my spine.

“Ignore him.” He hissed leaning closer until I could smell his alcohol heavy breath.

I did as instructed bowing my head to hide from the one person that could probably help me stop all of this.

They knew if Raven found out they were hurting me, with or without my permission he would kill them. I even knew that much, if Raven had been willing to be assaulted by them to keep me out of the place I had stepped right into, then he would be willing to kill.

He led me through the door ushering me through the stank hallways, it reeked of mildew stagnant water, and blood. With an underlying hint of fear, desperation, and pain peppered with the bitter aftertaste of sadism.