Chapter 38

Elsa's POV
**********

Jack. What is he doing here? How can he know I'm here?

I whirl around to see him flying towards me at full speed. I can't see his facial expression in the dark and snow, but that is probably better. I don't want to see the hurt or the shock there.

I have no idea what to do. I don't know if I can say anything to make him turn back. I probably can't. But I don't want to hurt him again either.

Pitch, who I have almost forgotten is here, sighs next to me. "Well Elsa, you know what to do."

I frown,"What? What do you mean?"

"You're working for me now. Shoot him with your ice."

I turn to him, glaring daggers. Anger courses through me and I can feel the ice tickling my finger tips. I want to shoot him so bad. But I hold back...for now.

"No. Pitch, you promised Jack wouldn't get hurt." I stop my ice from being unleashed, keeping it inside,"I won't do it."

He sighs again after a moment,"Fine, Elsa. You don't have to hurt him." He closes his eyes for a moment, and I just watch him, wary of what he is planning. Then, nightmares appear from everywhere, and my eyes widen.

"Jack! Get out of here! You have to-"

Before I can say anything else, Pitch's sand wraps around my mouth, silencing me.

I continue to make strangled noises as I jump up and down, trying to get his attention. I probably look ridiculous, but I honestly can't care less.

Jack sees my strange movements and takes a better look at the darkness around him. He is able to detect the Nightmares, and I expect him to stop, to at least stay in one spot to prepare to fight. But no, of course not. My eyes widen as he shoots forward even faster, ice shooting out of his staff at crazy fast speed and large amounts of power.

I know that I have to do something, but as I'm thinking this, Pitch seems to read my mind.

"Nah ah ah," he says, moving sand to bind my arms and legs. I trip and end up falling on my back. I'm able to sit up, a look of anger and hatred on my face.

He shrugs,"Told you not to mess around. I could see the ice on your hands."

I silently curse and try to break free, but even my ice can't do a thing. Frustrated, I groan but sit back, knowing that I've been defeated. There's not much I can do know except put my faith in Jack. Just like I've always done.

But still, I hate feeling so helpless. I hate knowing that I'm leaving all of this mess up to Jack. Right after I completely betrayed and left him back in the dorm. And now here I am, letting him down again.

What can I do? What can I ever do to make it up to him? He deserves so much. He deserves his son, his home in Arendelle, he deserves...the old Elsa. Not this new, cowardly, helpless Elsa who betrayed him. More than once.

No, I can't let him fight on his own. I can't. There has to be a way to fight back, there has too...

All of my anger, all of the feelings swarming around inside of me...I finally find a place to channel them. Closing my eyes, I imagine everything. All that happened in that book, all that happened after the portal, the dance, the kiss, Anna, all of our friends, all that has happened...

The bonds holding my hands and feet shatter into shards of ice, and Pitch turns, his eyes surprised.

I stand, facing him with an unwavering glare. "The deal's off, Pitch. Not only did you promise that I wouldn't have to hurt him, but you also promised that you wouldn't lay a finger on him. You broke our agreement."