Chapter 43

Jack's POV
**********

"Okay, maybe if you let Toothless try flying around a bit on his own to get some balance he will eventually be able to fly with you? But I really don't know much about dragons, much less flying them, so..."

"Jack!"

I pause mid sentence talking to Hiccup, Astrid, and Toothless and turn, watching as Anna and Kristoff race towards me. I'm surprised to see that Anna looks, for the first time in a long time, excited. A smile mixed with joy and determination is on her face, and a warm feeling spreads through my chest. It's nice to see that again, especially after how down she was only a little bit ago.

"What is it?" I ask, anxious to hear what she has to say. Judging by her facial expression, it must be good, right? And at this point, I really need that.

She takes a moment to catch her breath before explaining, "I can open the portal and get everyone through safely. I know I can. Whenever you're ready to go, I'll be ready too." Her voice is unwavering and her eyes are filled with resolution.

I stare at her with my eyes wide, and then my gaze goes between her and Kristoff, their expressions matching.

And then my face quickly shifts to an amused smile. Man, Kristoff works wonders. He was really able to get Anna's fire going again.

I'll have to thank Kristoff later and ask him how he did it.

But as I think about it, and the very plausible fact that there probably was a lot of, well, kissing involved...

Maybe I'll just thank him.

"Fantastic," I say excitingly, a large grin spread across my face. I look around, my facial expression quickly becoming thoughtful, "But, well, I'm not sure if we're all ready..."

"We are."

I pause, turning at the sound of Hiccup's voice. I'm surprised to see everyone standing behind and beside him, all of their faces full of determination. Toothless growls and snaps his teeth in agreement with his rider.

I don't quite know what to say, my mind still trying to comprehend what he just said to me.

"W...what...?" I begin, turning fully. Because they aren't ready. I've seen what Pitch can do. They could get hurt if they go the way they are now, and I can't let that happen, and-

"We know what you're thinking, Jack." Punzie says, stepping slightly forward. Eugene remains at her side, his hand on her arm, "You think that we aren't ready, that when it'll come to a battle, we won't stand a chance."

I try my hardest not to flinch at her words. The way she says it, it just sounds so wrong. But, after a moment's thought, I know that she isn't wrong. It's true. I'm not putting my trust in them, I'm not believing in them. And that shouldn't be the case. I, more than anyone, know how important it is to be believed in.

But still...

"But Elsa's our friend too." I look up in surprise as I listen to Merida speak. Out of everyone here, she is the last person I expect to get all sentimental on me. "We know that we all aren't exactly combat ready."

Astrid, who is also standing on Hiccup's side, continues, "But, to be perfectly honest..."

Olaf jumps in, "It doesn't matter. Because-"