Chapter 49

Eugene's POV
*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*
"I hate snow," I grumble, dragging myself forward through the frigid winds and thicker snow caking the ground. Rapunzel's arm is slung around my shoulder, and I support her as we navigate our way through the blizzard.

"I th-thought that y-you liked s-snow," she points out through chattering teeth. Her broken up speech worries me, and I bring my eyes to look over her weak frame and pale skin.   Whatever she managed to get us out of the illusion really took a toll on her. Making up my mind, I reach down and sling her legs under my arms, cradling her body against mine. She yelps in surprise.

"Eugene, what are you doing?"

"What does it look like? I'm carrying you," I answer vaguely, knowing well that it'll annoy her.

As expected, she roles her eyes, but the gesture only helps to settle some of my worry. She's more back to her normal self than I thought.

"You know what I mean. I can walk fine, you know."

I meet her green gaze and glare, "Just let me have credit for being a good husband, okay?"

Her eyes widen as her cheeks flush considerably. "You...you remember that?"

I raise my eyebrows, "Don't you?"

She frowns. "I...I didn't know if you saw everything too during the illusion."

Lifting my face to again search the white landscape for any sign of anyone, I smile. "Of course I did. And I've never been happier to know that you're already my wife."

Raising an eyebrow, she asks, "What do you mean, 'already'?"

"By 'already," I mean that I was practically dying over thinking about how I was going to propose. But I already got that taken care of, so it's all good."

Rapunzel roles her eyes but doesn't say anything, instead snuggling deeper into my chest. A warm feeling spreads through me at the contact.

"Hey! Can anybody hear me?!"

I stop, scanning the white barren landscape around us with squinted eyes. In the distance, I can begin to make out something coming toward us. Hope sparks in my chest, and I begin to move faster towards the approaching figure, my arms tightening around Rapunzel. I can't find my way through this storm, especially not when Rapunzel is in this condition. I have to hope that this is one of our friends and not another trick.

If not, Rapunzel and I will soon run out options.

But as the shape comes closer, wild, fiery hair becomes visible, and relief courses rapidly through my body. As adrenaline fades while relief takes its place, I realize just how exhausted I am. Slowing down, I drop to my knees in the snow, panting heavily.

"Merida! Is that you?" I try my best to yell over the storm, squinting through the veil of white screening my vision. I can barely hear a reply, but the wind carries the words away before they can reach my ears completely.

"Merida..." I try again, but it's futile. I can barely hear my own voice.

The wind whistles even louder in my ears, my body going numb in the frigid air. Shivering uncontrollably, I curl tighter in on myself, hoping that that will at least provide Rapunzel some warmth. My eyes drag their way to her face, and my heart drops as I take in her pale skin and bluish lips.

She can't go on like this. I have to find whoever that was, and fast. If not...

I shake my head, refusing to allow my thoughts to take that dark path.

We aren't dying here. Not after everything. I'm not going to allow some snow to get the better of us!

"Eugene!"