Chapter Two | Briar Matthews

Sarah Calderon

Senior year. Yep, I said it. The one year we all look forward to that holds our freedom at arms length. Here I am being the typical nerd stacking books in the library like a good student aid. Mrs. Pearl, the librarian sitting behind the counter checking in late books. My big nerdy glasses covering my face, suffocating me innocently.

"Umm... Hey?" A strong deep voice caught me out of my trance. I looked up quickly dropping the books in the process. A small gasp left my lips at the sight of our star quarterback, typical blonde hair and golden skinned boy, Briar Matthews.

"H-hi." I stuttered while standing up trying to gain composure and control of the situation but unfortunately my 4'9" frame stood no chance in dominating this 6' something male. He smiled slightly at my small frown and looked back into my eyes through my huge glasses that weigh more then my head.

"Could you help me?" He asked innocently. I looked over to Mrs. Pearl hoping she could take this situation over so I wouldn't embarrass myself. My frown only deepens when I see another football jock already having her attention. Why me?

I turn back around when I hear chuckling. I stare oddly at Briar. What's so funny? "You could have just told me no." He states trying to cover up his blushing cheeks with a cough.

I started to feel bad. Did I really just hurt Briar Matthews feelings? "No. I-uh. I help. Yeah? Okay." Oh god. English Sarah, English! His laughing caught me out of my mental lecture.

"What's your name?" I froze at the question. I still wasn't use to this and it's been three years. "Katherine. Katherine Bennington. But you can call me Kate. I mean you don't have to but it's shorter and most people like shorter names because when you call after them or something not saying your gonna call my name down a hall or anything but it's-" I got cut off by a finger being placed over my lips and a smirking Briar.

"Kate's a nice name." I smiled hiding everything. Oh how I wish I could yell to the world that I am not Kate! That I am not a nerd and I don't even need glasses. I know how to comb my golden blonde hair and my brown eyes are actually blue. That I have a few hidden freckles I cover with makeup everyday and I wish I could wear a short sleeve shirt but unfortunately, the scars would be recognizable.

"I need to find a book." He states. I nod slowly hoping he gets the point to continue. "It's called uh. You see. It's. Sh!t I don't remember." He stutters looking around. I decided to help him out. "If it's for English we are going over 'pride and prejudice'. Is that it?"

He just stares at me and nods. "Yeah that's it!" A new smile placed on his face.

Briar Mathews

         "Yeah that's it!" I smiled trying to hide the fact I honestly had no clue what that was. When the guys made the bet with me, I thought it would be easier then this. A simple whisper of 'hey' and she would already be at her knees. No. This girl looked to Mrs. Pearl immediately to get me off her shoulders.

What's wrong with her? I'm just glad she didn't catch on to the fact I really wasn't looking for a book. I was taken out of thought by Kate's hand slowly coming up and her leaning closer to my body. Her arm softly touched my arm as her hand went beyond me. As she pulled back I grabbed her waist.

She looked startled for a minute but brought her hand between us with a book. Oh. "Uh... Thanks." I stuttered. I didn't think it would be this fast. What do I say. She nodded in welcome and tried to walk away but I held her hips still. She winced in... Pain? But quickly covered it with a false smile.

"Anything else Mr. Matthews?" She asked with a little to much perk in her voice. Does she hate me now? "Tonight... Dinner? Let me take you out." I almost demanded. Damn what's wrong with me. This girl is messing with my brain.

"No thank you." She said and turned to walk away. In shock my hands had released her. Did she really just say no to me? I looked over to my best friend Trey who was laughing in the window at me. Most of our friends behind him laughing as well. Blayne was distracting Mrs. Pearl for me.

I quickly followed behind her and grabbed her elbow. "Please." I pleaded which wasn't normal for me but I was not about to lose this bet because of some nerd. "I uh, I've been seeing you around and i just. I've been getting these feelings and I-" her finger met my mouth. I shut up in shock looking at her. A small smile graced her face.

"Fine. I'll meet you at your house but after this don't bother me again." She stated while grabbing the book in my hands and turning to walk away while calling over her shoulder, "oh and your making me dinner!" I stayed there shocked for a moment. Since when do nerds tell me what to do? I brushed it off knowing that one night is all I need.

Vote

Comment

Follow

Please let me know what you think of my book so far! Thanks:)