Chapter Twenty-Three | What happened

Sarah Calderon

Flashback 7 years ago (5th grade)

I've always been popular. My whole life I've been the queen of school. Everyone was my friend and everyone knew me. I had all the money and toys the world could want. My best friend Trisha and I controlled the playground and anyone who entered our school. I was also the talk of the town. The golden child. The perfect girl. Some would say that I'm too perfect.

However, with all my spoiled ways, that also meant I was reckless. It was my goal to get in trouble. I enjoyed doing things that were "not allowed". I usually dragged my friends along with me. Sometimes when your so spoiled and get everything you want, you crave that attention. That look from people that says, "maybe she's not all that perfect". And that's what I was going for. I wanted them to stop seeing me as an object or idol and more as a person.

Today was my best plan by far. Today, we are going to drive.

I had convinced Trisha and a few of our friends to come over. Once we snuck out to the car, we had a bit of a problem. I couldn't reached the pedals. So Trisha being my right hand man, went down into the floor board to control the gas and breaks while I controlled the steering wheel.

We backed out pretty smoothly minus a few trash cans and a water sprinkler. We were finally on the road. Everyone was cheering and playing with the stereo. We decided on heading to the beach to celebrate our step in adulthood.

We never made it to the beach.

We accidentally skipped a red light and got into a t-bone car crash. Smoke and sirens were all I could remember. I checked down to see Trisha squished against my chair over the airbag blocking me. My nose felt broken and my body was still. The passenger seat that held our two other best friends, Micah and Tiffany was caved in. They died on impact. Amber and Brooke were sat in the back seat crying loudly about their pain.

Later that day we found out the other car's passenger was killed as well.

It was my mom.

And Trisha's mom.

We are sisters with different dads, same mom.

----

Back then I was living with Trisha's dad and my mom but after the accident, my step dad couldn't forgive me and sent me to my real dad. Trisha hadn't forgiven me either.

That leads us to where we are today.

The whole town knowing that the perfect girl fûcked up.

Comment

Vote

Follow