Chapter Twenty | Trisha

Sarah Calderon

The lake house ended fairly quickly. No one mentioned my scars thankfully but I had a feeling Briar would bring them up eventually. He never left my side all weekend and it felt good having him back. I missed him. I missed us. I know it's crazy to think that he actually likes me when I specifically disguised myself to not be liked. To not draw attention.

My fear is that one day he will find out. He will see my lies and then, what we have been so delectably nurturing and waiting for to bloom will die entirely.

-----

I walked into school this morning with a small hop in my step. I was happy, for the time being. I had no idea what put me in such a good mood but I was. I slung the two front doors open and walked in confidently. People stopped to look at me for my loud disruption but I ignored them and skipped on to my locker.

Today everything will be normal again. I'll sit with my friends, talk to Briar... I can already feel the greatness. I'll be happy again. As soon as my locker flung open a hand smashed against it, closing it. A small pout found my lips, do you know how hard it is to the combination just right the swing my thumb up the top to open it quickly.

My fave turned to the culprit and all my expressions dropped away. I put my blank mask on as I started into Trisha's blazing brown eyes. She was mad. But why?

Her two friends flanked her sides and an uneasiness settled in my stomach. This scene looked all to familiar for my likings. "I'm sick and tired of all of my friends talking about you and Briar. So here's a fair warning nerd. Stay away. Got it?" Her teeth were grinding with anger and she crossed her arms over her chest in hopes of rising them up more.

I was tempted to say no. To defy the queen bee. To finally take my chance with things. To final stand up for myself. To prove that I'm less broken. Before I could nod my head yes, Briar stepped up beside me. Trisha's face soon turned into a sinister smile and she came up beside him touching his bicep.
I got the sudden urge to growl at her, claim him as mine, but I knew better. He was in fact not mine.

"Goodmorning Kate." Briar was only looking at me and ignored Trisha altogether. This made her seem so belittled. I smiled back at him warmly and mumbled a "morning". I was quite scared what Trisha had in mind for me but at the same time I hated her. I was angry with her. She was the reason I lost something so... Pure. So beautiful.

His smile came down a few notches with my quiet action. He's never seen me as closed off before. Suddenly his arm is ripped out of Trisha's hands and he puts his arm around my waste. "I'll take you to class." It wasn't a question but a statement and although I wanted to deny his offer for the sake of not upsetting Trish, I couldn't help but notice the small hop in my step as we walked off. Briar's hand was rubbing soothing circles in my small exposed hip from him raising my shirt and I felt his energy charging me. His small gesture made me feel unstoppable.

----

Lunch time rolled around fairly quickly and I was ready. I was ready to be back to old times. To laugh with my friends and smile at briar staring at me. I was ready but then an arm grabbed me from out of the janitors closet and I was pulled in. My arms were castes beside me held down by two familiar clutches. The lights flicked on and Trisha was in my face with a sinister smile as usual.

She pointed her finger to her chin in mock thought, "You know what Kate Bennington. You know what's so strange yet so obvious that I'm angry with myself for not realizing it sooner." Her voice sickened me and my arms slightly struggled from the tighter hold then I remember.

I wanted to be afraid but something in my gut was telling me to not show weakness. Maybe it's because deep down, I know that Briar is there. He's in me. He's given me these prices of himself that I never knew were there. I felt him in me, ready to have my back when I needed it.

Her small laugh rang through the room, "I simply don't know if I can believe it, what about you girls?" Her poodles shook their heads agreeing with their runt of a leader. "I should've thought of it sooner." Her palm met her forehead in annoyance with herself.

"You're probably wondering what we are talking about." Trisha asked me in a serious manner. Her forefinger and thumb met my chin so I would raise my head to look at her but I knew I had that glint in my eye of defiance. Something I've never had before. "So tell me Kate Bennington, why is it that your public records don't exist?"

My defiance and strength vanished. My hard look swept off my face and my lips parted slightly. She looked through my school records. Of course. She doesn't mind doing the dirty work. And now all that I had in me was gone. My life was quickly flashing before my eyes.

Her hand left my chin and quickly rose my sweater sleeves up my arms. My scars on full display for her eyes. The scars liked like sunlight was trying to burn through me gasping at the feel of freedom away from the suffocation of my sweater. She smiled evilly to herself looking down at my arms then just as quickly had my hair out of its ponytail. Along with my glasses swiped off my face.

"Color contacts. Really?" Her statement made my body freeze already knowing where this was headed. But then she dropped my glasses and ponytail to the floor and snapped her fingers. The three of them were gone in a blink of an eye leaving me to ponder to myself what had just happened. I slowly sank to the ground when realization struck me.

We have an assembly this Friday.

Vote

Comment

Follow