Chapter Fifteen | One Reason

Sarah Calderon

I awoke to the sad realization that it was all real. Everything that happened was real. I feel the soft blanket and cuddle myself deeper in hopes of sucking myself up the soft tunnel. My heart skips a beat when my door opens. I glance over my shoulder in hopes of my dad actually showing up but let out a shaky breath when all I see is Briar.

He lips his lips into a soft smile that doesn't reach his eyes. I turn back over and lay on my side holding my stomach self consciously. I heard the chair scrape against the floor and I assumed Briar sat in it. I was too tired to fight. Too tired to cry. I just wanted to sleep. Sleep away this mess of a life. Why can nothing go right?

"I'm sorry." His trembling voice cut the cold rooms silence. I turned back over to my back starring at the plain ceiling. Should I answer him? But what do I do? But before I can answer my own question, Briar grabs my cold hand in his. A small smile comes to my lips at his warmth. He always feels so warm.

"I loved her."

My voice my scratchy and in pain. I hadn't even known the sex of my baby before her torturous death. I looked over to Briar and his eyes had shown adoration. "It was a girl?" His voice was small yet still so silky. It sent trembles down my spine. I nodded in response.

It was silent for awhile.

I knew better but I had to know, "why'd you make the bet?"

He shook his head, "don't do this Kate." But it was too late, I had to know. I leaned up in pain, sitting up.

"Tell me."

He brought his other hand up and used both of his hands to cup mine. He slowly leaned down and kissed my palm. I was in shock? Did he just show me affection.

His voice broke me out of my shock, "It wasn't supposed to be like this. This all wasn't planned. I just... It all got to my head, please understand, I never wanted to hurt you. It was just, some stupid silly bet. I wanted the title and I let it get to my head."

"What title?"

He let out a shaky breath, "I wanted to be the one to Fûck every girl in school, and you were last on my list."

Disgust quickly filled my face and I yanked my hand out of his hands. "So is this all apart of it? Play with me, fûck me, impale me with all of these false intentions!" My voice rose an octave higher. Tears suddenly started running down my face in hysterics.

He shook his head again standing, "no no, please listen, you're different-" I scoffed cutting him off.

"How original of you."

"Will you just-"

"No! I've had enough. I need my rest, not sure if you noticed but I'm kind of-"

"Dammit Kate I lost the fûcking baby too!" His outburst silenced me. My tears only reminding me of why I was in this bed in the first place. "It's like there's always this block between us making us get one step closer but two steps back."

I looked up at him in all seriousness, "The only thing standing between us is reality."

His face went blank. His deep blue eyes soaking in my petite form.

"What do you want from me?" His voice quivering. His right hand flying up scrunching his hair in frustration.

"A reason." My own voice shocks me. "There's so many reasons for me to leave." I pause taking a breathe already knowing it's too much. "Give me one good reason to stay."

His face went into shock and his mouth wavered open to close. I wasn't sure what I was wanting but I wasn't expecting him to sigh and breathe out, "I don't have one."

His chair scraped the ground and he was walking out of my door with a small, "Goodbye Kate."

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! 🦃

Vote

Comment

Follow