Chapter Twenty-Seven | Graduation

Sorry to disappoint but she will not be valedictorian because I can't even spell that😁 and I suck at speeches. Also because I wanted y'all to see how she's like now... Anyways graduations are boring so I tried to skip along that pretty fast.

Btw this book will probably be about 30 chapters... I think

Sarah Calderon

      Today is Graduation. I looked down at my simple white dress. (Dress to the side) I felt kind of pretty. Only a little. My black graduation gown would cover it up for the most part anyways. Just a tad of makeup and I felt refreshed. Maybe this is my fresh start. After today, it'll be better. I have a scholarship to New York University and I'm taking it the first chance I get. As soon as this is over, it's time I start my search for an apartment and job. My mother left me money for when this time came and now that I'm 18 I can get it out.

After today, I'll forget everything and leave it all behind. Yes. That's the plan.

---

Well that was the plan. But my stomach started scrunching up in fear at the fact Abbey was on a dead set March straight towards my direction. I backed away slowly in the crowd hoping to get out of her sight but my escape was cut short when she reached out and grabbed my arm then yanked me behind her walking us to the girls bathroom.

Once inside she turned around to lock the door sending chills up my spine in fear of what that always means.

She turns around and huffs out a sigh of relief. Her eyes stare solely into my own.

"Wow." Abbey gasps out. "You and Briar sure know how to fuck things up."

I flinch at her statement unsure of wether she's safe to speak freely to. Her laugh cuts off my thoughts though, "I'm kidding Sarah. Now tell me why you've been avoiding me?"

I looked at her astonished. Avoiding her? "Look. I know that back in the day, it was hard for you. I was there remember. And although I didn't do anything I know what you went through so I don't blame you."

I let out a breath in relief at her confession. "But I do blame you for ignoring me and breaking Briar's heart." She deadpans me.

I look up at her shocked, "I" my finger pointed to my chest, "broke his heart?"

I chuckled lowly, "if that's what he's telling people then so be it. I'm not the one that fucked then left with a note saying 'thanks for the fuck, goodbye'".

Abbey pouted at my statement and came up to me embracing me in a hug. I was really trying hard to keep it together but I wasn't sure how much longer I could hold it in.

"I'm not sure why but Briar does things to piss people off especially when he's hurt. I'm not making excuses but I just feel like he doesn't know what to do." Abbey tried to console me but it wasn't really working.

I looked up at her and pulled away from the hug, "Look Abbey. The ceremony is about to begin but I just wanted to say, thanks for being my friend for that short time. But after today, you will never see me again."

She looked at me in terror, "You're not going to-"

My hands waved up frantically, "Oh no! I would never hurt myself over a boy! I just won't be in town after this. I'm leaving for college far away from here and I'm kind of hoping to leave everything behind while I'm at it."

She nods in a small understanding yet uneasy way. "Well alright."

And with that we exited and made our way to the auditorium.

I stood in my spot in line and sat. The speeches and names called we're all agonizingly long. Being close to the first called I felt even more awkward walking across the stage with no family cheering me on. I got my diploma then booked it off the stage. How embarrassing.

Briar's name was called a short while after causing loud commotions in the crowd. The cheerleaders, jocks, and his family going wild along with the rest of the student body. It made my face red from the difference. I really was an outcast.

After it was all over, my main priority was to get out ASAP. No more run ins with people from the past but just as I was about to make it out the door my arm was snatched and it made me turn around to my captor.

"Briar?" My voice came out a question yet my eyes were wide as saucers. He had this stone face on his features and I couldn't help but melt at his touch.

People were walking by us as we stood in silence starring at one another daring the other to speak first. Soon the auditorium emptied and it left only us. My back against the wall with Briar's hand still wrapped securely around my wrist as if him letting me go would mean I'd disappear.

Briar Matthews

        Her hair, eyes, mouth... It was different yet the same. The soft questioning look was the same look I've seen many times before. Her lips puffed out slightly the same as every time before I kissed her before. I was convincing myself that this is not Kate. This is not my Kate. And yet I'm right. This is not Kate.

Her name is Sarah. I can't help but feel that that means I don't even know the first thing about her. Yet, looking down at her, remembering these small details and memories with her. She is all I could think about. Who cares about a stupid name. She had her reasons... But I couldn't seem to understand myself.

" You were never supposed to mean this much to me." My voice trembled and I realized a salty tear betrayed me as it rolled freely down my cheek.

Her hand reached forward swiping the traitorous tear gingerly. A small smile came to her features yet it didn't reach her eyes. Had I really turned her into this? Or was this the real her.

"I know", she whispered.

"D-do you hate me?" I cursed myself silently for stuttering and seeming so fallen apart. It seems to me that love could be labeled poison and we would still drink it greedily.

She signed softly still sliding her hand across my cheek. "I don't hate you. I love you. But loving you is killing me, so this is goodbye. Even if I don't want it to be."

I wanted to talk about it. Damn it. I wanted to scream. I wanted to yell. I wanted to shout about it. But all I could do was whisper, " Okay."

And with that, I let go and she was gone.

Comment

Vote

Follow