Chapter 9 ~ Insults & Challenge

Can you actually believe it works? It fucking works! When Prodigy and One Direction play together it sounds amazing, like we were meant to play together and we have done this all our life. These girls have so much talent that they can do anything and with the arrangement they give to our songs they don’t sound so pop and it’s like they were powerful and full of meaning, but they are still the same songs. How is that even possible? I— I don’t get it!

Yes, they are still rude and they like to mess with us. It is weird when someone else mocks us so much, we’re used to be the ones making jokes and stuff, but this time we’re whom everyone is laughing at. I know we should be offended, but I’ve realised this is the way they interact with each other. If you can’t take a banter, then you can’t really be around Prodigy. They are like that all the time, even with each other. We’re no exception so we have no reason to believe they hate us for being who we are or anything like that. In a way, that they treat us like this is a way to show us that they actually consider us people.

Why does that sound so weird?

“Hey Tammy,” Emma calls in a moment when Tammy is trying to teach Liam her solo in one of her songs —why are all their songs so amazing? Even those that are about partying like there’s no tomorrow? It’s not fair—, so the girl that has been next to Liam the whole afternoon looks at her band mate. “Can you leave your girlfriend there and come for a sec?” she asks and Liam doesn’t even react, as if the fact that Emma called him a girl doesn’t bother him anymore —I think he accepted it already— but Tammy’s expression goes serious instead of mocking, as she has done with everyone else.

What?

“Okay, that’s enough. No need to call him girl. Noob, NSYNC wannabe, but not girl anymore,” she says and I’m so shocked I feel like someone knocked the air out of my lungs. Is really Tammy standing up for Liam… sort of? “I mean, look at this boys, they all must have a dick.” And cue to her words, everyone looks at our crotches. I feel very observed and awkward, plus, I know Kay is staring too intently at me. Damn you, Tammy! “See? There’s something there and I don’t think it’s a pair of socks,” Tammy motions to Liam’s crotch and if he didn’t react when Emma called him a girl, now he is certainly reacting. He is tomato red. “So no lesbian anymore, okay?”

This is so surreal and I know everyone is shocked. They practically introduced themselves and started calling us lesbians instead of directly calling us girls for our ‘soft’ appearance, particularly Tammy, but now she is asking the rest to stop. I don’t know how to feel about this.

Liam is impressed too, he is staring at us with awe in his eyes and a little smile. She has offended him with that little speech, but at the same time she stood up for him and I guess Liam is trying to figure out what that means. Good luck, mate.

“Oh, okay. No more lesbians then. So, can you leave your boyfriend and come for a sec?” Emma asks, mischief clear in her smile and voice and Tammy only raises her eyebrows and shakes her head.

“He is not my boyfriend, for fuck’s sake!” Tammy complains but she approaches Emma and leaves Liam behind, who is still smiling. I wonder what he is thinking.

“Soon you’ll be the only one single, Boo bear,” a feminine voice says and I cringe because I recognise her so easily. I look at my right and there she is, short with her messy blonde hair and that everlasting smile on her lips, amusement in her eyes. She always looks so happy when there’re people around. I’ve only seen her sad once, vulnerable, and it was because I caught her, she was hiding then. Doesn’t she get tired of smiling all the time?

“I don’t care and don’t call me that,” I tell her seriously and emotionlessly. Then her eyes meet mine and her smile grows wider.

“Why? Only your mum can call you Boo bear?” she inquires as her fingers slide down my arm and I shiver. Her touch is so light, like a feather and I have that need to shove her off and shake my body until I get rid of that feeling.