Chapter 11 ~ Managers & Indifference

We are in Manchester for the gig with Prodigy. We decided to make something small and all the money we raise with the tickets will go to this charity with the kids. Management had a meeting with us and the girls of Prodigy trying to convince us to keep, at least, a fifteen per cent of the sales, but Tammy almost killed them for suggesting that. I remember that clearly because no one has yelled that loud at Management.

“Are you fucking insane? You and all of us have already enough money to burn if we want. Specially these boys here!” she shouted and I thanked her silently because she didn’t call us girls or fuckers. “We don’t need a single quid and you still wanna take something? We’re doing this to help, you can’t be this insensitive and selfish! It’s for the kids. What kind of human are you?!”

“We’re just looking after you—”

“Bullocks!” she cut them off. “You’re just looking after yourself. You want more money and you can use these boys,” —meaning us— “as you please, but you won’t do that with us, and not to the kids of this charity. They’ve had enough shit from their parents, you won’t make it worse for them! These here have so much money they would die at a hundred years old before spending it all, and we are fine, too. We don’t need any more money and certainly you don’t either! Why would you want even more? Can’t you stop? How greedy are you? Are you even human? Enough is enough, if you can’t do one thing for free, then don’t count with us. We can make gigs for free whenever we want, our fans won’t have a problem if we cancel this event to do something on our own for the charity, but tell that to their fans. For the first time, do something to help others and not to make more money for you.”

“We won’t accept this,” Liam spoke for all of us, siding with Tammy on this. And to be honest, I agree with them. What Management wanted to do is awful and low. “We don’t need more money. For this time, let us do something without gaining anything else but the satisfaction of helping. Tammy is so right it’s even humiliating. You have always won something out of everything we do. Nothing is for free, we really don’t do anything for free, somehow we always win something and that’s sick. We’re trying to help others, not ourselves.”

“What the noob said!” Tammy said folding her arms and giving one last glimpse to Liam, a little smile playing on her lips.

As they spend more time with the kids of the charity, they get along better. And I hate this, but Liam is growing really fond of Tammy. I know, I don’t understand it either!

“I told you they weren’t going to agree,” Janet, Prodigy’s manager told our group with a conceited smile. Emma laughed and high-fived her manager. I’ve noticed these girls and Janet have a very close relationship and their manager really looks after the girls, she knows them.

“Okay, all the sales will go to the charity,” Jeannine, one of our Management group finally agrees and I still think of that look in her eyes that day, she looked kind of proud.

So that’s good about this, we’re doing this to really help the charity and as we spend more time with this girl band, I’ve noticed a few things, too. All of them have this dark sense of humour and they tease each other all the time, but when it comes to music, they are really professional and they love what they do. And they are so bloody talented it’s not fair. Incredibly, I find out that Tammy, the worst of them all, is the most involved with charities. She does not only sponsor You Matter, she is also member of many other charities that help kids and she goes to orphanages frequently. I couldn’t believe it when Leanne told us that. Tammy would never admit it, though.

That girl is weird. She shows you she is terrible, but then she does things like those and you don’t know what to think. Why would someone so rude care so much about kids? She even yelled at me for rejecting a girl that wanted to take a picture with me. She told me I couldn’t do that to a little girl and I better apologise or she would make me regret my existence. Kay had to tell her to relax and not to kill me.