Chapter 14 ~ Hangover & Eleanor

When I open my eyes, I feel like dying. I swear, it’s almost like someone is hitting me with an axe, an old, rusty axe. Who is trying to kill me? Can’t that person use a better weapon? Please, some mercy! I groan in pain and cover my face with the duvet, but every movement is like adding another axe. Oh God, what happened last night? Did I actually drink that much? This is the worst headache I’ve ever had. I just want to die!

I don’t remember what happened last night clearly. I just remember the club, the drinks that kept coming, then Kay… and that’s all. I can’t gather more memories right now and if I try, my head hurts even worse. How did I end up here… wait, where is here?

Carefully, I peek out from under the duvet and look around. It’s the hotel room but not my room, someone else’s. I try to see something that will tell me where I am, but it’s just like any other room. I just don’t see my stuff that I left scattered on the floor when I left. Still in pain, I try to look farther around and only then I see her, in front of her laptop, wearing thick black-framed glasses with a steamy cup next to her, too focused to notice I’ve awakened.

“On the nightstand you have a glass of water and some aspirin if the pain is too much, but I advice you to drink a lot of water only,” Kay says not even turning around to look at me, her eyes are still on the screen. “And don’t worry, I didn’t touch you last night.”

I wasn’t even thinking of that, so I have to blink a couple of times to really understand what she is talking about. But thinking makes this pain worse and I groan. Thinking will have to wait, I need that aspirin now and water, a lot of water. Then I can try to find out what happened last night.

“Next time you plan on drinking that much, take some Hydrodol, okay? That’s what I do,” Kay speaks and I carefully turn to watch her. She is still with her eyes locked on the screen of her MacBook and I just notice she is working on something related with the documentary.

“How did I end up here? Why am I here?” I ask with a husky voice and she finally turns around, her eyes on me this time.

“You don’t remember?” she asks and she sounds… hopeful? What happened last night? Did I do something stupid?

“Not clearly and I can’t really think right now.” I close my eyes pinching the bridge of my nose. Why can’t this pain go away? “Please?” I try kindness, maybe it will get me somewhere.

“You drank too much and too fast, I brought you here. You weren’t really useful so I took you to my room instead. I slept on the sofa, don’t worry, I really didn’t touch you,” she reassures me again quickly but I feel there’s more. “Do you need more water?”

She doesn’t wait for an answer and leaves to get me some water and I try not to think of what this means. Why is she taking care of me? Why was it her who brought me here and not one of the guys? She is the one who doesn’t care about me, I’m only a project for her. Just a challenge.

She cares about you, that inner voice speaks up again and I’m confused. What is it talking about? Should I call it him, me, or just other Louis?

Kay is back with another glass of water and approaches me. She looks kind of nervous and I wonder why. “You okay?” I ask, though I don’t care, I’m just curious because this is so abnormal, she is always confident and carefree.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just making sure you don’t die. Lucky you have the day off today. Any plans?” she asks and again, why is she asking? She doesn’t care!

And I shouldn’t scream in my mind, it hurts even more.

“I was going to go out with Harry,” I comment and she seems to remember something.