Chapter 2

After three days of comforting my brother and father, we finally decided on having a funeral for her.

I had yet to cry after the paramedics took her body away. Call me cold-hearted, but it's just that she left so many responsibilities behind and even though I missed her already, I can't just stay there mourning her death instead of looking for our future and what we were going to do. . . Hell, I couldn't even find it in me to cry anymore. I think I cried the most when she laid there, dead. I had to be the rock for my father and brother. 

We invited many people and informed that the funeral would be held the day after itself. She, being the crazy woman she always was, decided her graveyard at a very early age and there was no way we weren't going to bury her in there.

It was called 'Katherine Graveyard' and, yes, she chosen the graveyard over her name.

Honestly, I was handling the situation way better than my dad was. He was so shaken up, so fragile for the past few days. He'd break down randomly out of nowhere after staring at one place for so long and that frightened me at times. 

Finally realizing the funeral was in the next twelve hours, I decided to get her favorite white flowers from the flower shop that was only a few minutes away from the house.

Getting myself up from the bed, I made sure that Dylan was sleeping.

This must be very hard for him. No ten year old should get treated the way he was right now, I thought to myself.

I closed his door so that he could sleep without any disturbances and head outside to get the flowers.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"She was a wonderful, artist, friend and adviser. In the world, there can be no better friend than her. Hope you rest in peace, Katherine," mom's best friend, Sally, said before she turned and left, wiping some tears off her face. They hadn't seen each other in a year or so due to her sudden departure to Australia with her husband and three kids. Mom and her still kept in touch but visits lessened and their bond became weaker and weaker by each passing day. Still, they had been best friends for over eight years and it must have been hard for her. Long distance or not.

Dad decided to go up next when no one proceeded.

"You don't know how hard it will be to live without you, honey," he started shakily. 

But with renewed confidence spoke up, "Katherine, ah Katherine. . . the person who taught me how to live my life. She was my reason to live, and she made sure to leave two more people to live for before she could leave. 

Everyday I woke up, I would see her, her face paler than the day before. It was heartbreaking to see her like that. One day, I had finally convinced her to go to the doctor and there she was diagnosed with heart problems. And one day, she just left. That one stupid heart attack took away my love. She should just know that even though we won't be able to see her beautiful, smiling face anymore, we all know that she is in our heart and beside us at every moment, just invisible. 

But trust me, honey, you will not be forgotten, you'll always stay remembered of-- by me and everyone else around here. I promise," he finished and walked down, giving me a squeeze on my shoulder for reassurance.

It was my turn. I walked up and took a deep breath in, starting. 

"My mother was one of the best. Her love was as pure as her. She was this beautiful, courageous lady who had a talent for art and showing endless love towards any one, be it a friend or family. The day we found out of her heart problems, to say we were hurt was just an understatement. She, on the other hand, took it lightly and calmed us down. 

"She refused to take medicines just so that she won't get drowsy and spend the maximum amount of time she can ever with us. She was brave and she was strong. One of the many hidden gifts she left behind was inspiration. We learned a lot from her and all she did and said for us will be remembered. So rest in peace, Mum. We will think of you, we will miss you. And when I say think of you, I mean every day. And when I say miss you, I mean always. I love you, Mum," I whispered at the end. 

And with that I held my tears back, my vision blurry and stepped down and placed a white flower beside her. They closed the lid of her coffin and finally started burying her. My brother seemed really weak and he had bags under his eyes. 

Taking a sigh, I said the few last words I dreaded, "Goodbye, mum."

Once we were done with her burial, many people came up to us and said 'sorry' for our loss but I couldn't take it anymore. I glanced over at dad and Dylan and saw that they couldn't take anymore as well so I grabbed my father and brother's arm and dragged them away. Somewhere where people won't be giving us apologetic glances every time they look at us.

We were halfway to our house when Dad stopped us where we were and slid his hands down his face, eyes shut. "I have to tell you guys something."

"Yes, dad?" I questioned.

"I don't know what your reaction will be, and maybe now's the time, maybe it isn't-"

"Just tell me what it is, dad," I told him impatiently.

"I lost my job," he said, his head hung down.

"What?" I dropped my jaw open out of shock.

"I know," he sighed, "But it's just that I missed so many days due to Katherine's death and they got a much more highly qualified guy than me, so they replaced me with him," he said through clenched teeth.

"So what's going to happen now?" I asked him solemnly.

"We'll be moving to a new place which will probably afford less," he said.

"And?" I asked to encourage him to go further on.

"Well," he scratched the back of his neck, "For the time being, could you please find a job or something?"

"Dad. . ." I trailed off, "there's only one place that's ever been fitting for me. You know I've tried everything, every job. . .they've all found some reason to get me fired."

"Ashley, no," Dad whispered, his eyes widening as realization hit him. "I meant something else. . . just try. . ."

"Street fighting," I completed and crossed my arms over my chest. 

**************************************************************************************************************************************

I know, I know.. Short update. Sorry, I get that it's a late update and I got many requests for updating. But I didn't find time. So thank you everyone for reading! And let's hope you enjoyed.

Stay tuned for next chapter:

-Vote

-Comment

-Share!!

~Pakhi<3