Chapter 24

To say that we were panicking was an understatement. I wouldn't have mind this all alone, but there was no way I was going to let any kind of trouble upon Dylan.

He's ten for goodness sake! He deserves to have a life full of joy! Not running away from bloody goons with terror in his eyes!

As I ran, holding Dylan beside me really close, I tried looking around to find something suspicious. But nope, everything was just so calm.

People had no idea what had just happened and why a seventeen year old girl was running like a freaking lunatic with a ten year old kid beside her.

Nope, everything was just fine.

Seeing everybody so casual like that made my blood boil. But again, they had no clue that one or maybe even more person could have actually died today if not for a little kid.

Then, I turned around to look at Dylan whilst running. My heart ached when I saw that confused face.. It wasn't always that he'd seen a bullet like that come straight at someone. I'd be surprised even if he knew what a bullet was. Well, I may be exaggerating a bit. He probably did know what a gun was; he did after all read so many books.

At times like these, I wanted to thank the lord for Dylan's brilliant eyesight. Of course, I have an amazing one too, but hey, I never said I had eyes at the back of my head!

The kid was tired now... I could see it in his eyes. Yet, he was trying so hard to keep himself going. Oh, did I mention that my bike was now punctured with a hole in its wheel?

Oh, of course not. As soon as we reached my bike, I realized that there was a hole in it. Awesome, right? Please note the sarcasm.

Dylan was now panting heavily and I knew if I didn't do anything about this, he'd fall onto the ground and be too tired to get up.

So, I did what came into my mind first; I picked him up and placed him on my back, piggy back style. He laid his head on my shoulder and tried to control his breathing while I placed one hand behind to make sure he won't fall.

I really can't complain, it's been more than fifteen minutes that we've been running. Trying to make sure we reach back home safe.

All of a sudden, I felt a pair of hands on me and my eyes widened as I tried to get away from the hands and tried to kick him. I could even feel Dylan lowering his head so that he could cover his eyes.

"Would you calm down? It's just me!" The voice yelled bringing me back to reality as I slowly turned to face him. Sure enough, there he was.

Jace.

"How can you expect me to calm down when you nearly give me a heart attack while I was running?" I asked yelling at him back.

"Fair enough," he said nodding awkwardly and scratching his neck.

Slowly, Dylan opened his eyes and saw that it was Jace.

"Jace!" He exclaimed getting off my back and running over to Jace, who scooped him up with a small smile on his face and an even bigger smile on Dylan's face.

I smiled as I watched Dylan's face. He was smiling. I guess that just made my day.

I cleared my throat, my smile still on my face, and both the guys hugging finally remembered that I was there and got up. Jace broke the silence first.