Chapter 3

"Ashley, no. You're definitely not resuming your street fighting!" my dad yelled. "What I meant was for you to look for an actual job! Like being a cashier or. . . I don't know. . .something!"

"Dad! Not everything can go your way! If you want me to earn this family some money, I'm going to but I'm going to do it my way. Besides, mom's death was never planned, okay? We never had a choice."

He sighed and ran his hands down his face. "Those techniques were supposed to be used for self-defense, not become your forte!" he complained. "Worse even, you can't spend a month without hitting someone. And I'm sick and tired of it. Okay? I'm done with it!"

I rolled my eyes. "Well then, how about you look for a job?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him. He flinched back at the bitterness in my tone.

"I'm looking for a job, okay? It isn't that easy!"

"When did I say it was easy? I simply asked you to look for a job instead of me," I clarified calmly and crossed my arms across my chest. "I'm just wondering how we're going to be paying the rent of the house and the school fees and the--"

"Only this time," he cut me off, forcing the words through clenched teeth and finally giving in, "and I don't want anyone to know about it!" 

I might have burst out laughing if we weren't in a serious situation right now. How can he possibly think I would tell anyone about an illegal act? Is he stupid? Furthermore, who would I tell? Reminder, dad. . . I'm not into socializing with people.

I nodded nonetheless. He still looked pissed but dropped the subject thankfully.

That was when realization struck me; Dylan was standing beside me! I glanced down at him, but he was completely absorbed in something on his phone. Yes, phone. Kids these days. . .

I tried to peek, but he slapped my arm playfully and sent a glare in my direction. I smiled at him which he returned sarcastically.

"Dylan!" my dad yelled to get his attention.

"What, dad?! Don't yell in the middle of a road!" he covered his ears with his hands and looked at my dad with wide eyes.

"Glad to see that I got your attention," dad remarked.

Dylan rolled his eyes. 

"I got some serious talk."

"Now?"

"Yes, now," dad replied.

Dylan sighed. "Go on, then."

I narrowed my eyes at dad and tried to concentrate on what he had to say next.

"We're moving."

My brother's eyes went even wider if that was even possible. "B-but, dad! My friends. . ." he stuttered.

"I'm sorry Dylan but this is important. We gotta move."

"Where to anyway?" I asked.

"Chicago. There are more job offers around there and there's this place which is pretty cheap and where we can afford to move in."

My brother nodded but he still seemed upset by the fact that we were moving.

Me? I really don't care. I mean school life is the same. I'm left alone due to being a loner, I'm rude, and I have no friends mainly cause I don't want them to know about my personal life. So the more the come near, the more I push them away by miles.

"Ashley, we're leaving tomorrow; I want you to pack yours and Dylan's bags today. Clear?" he asked me.

"Crystal," I replied.