Chapter 13

Still unable to control my laughter, I entered my house and smiled at the memory of Emmett falling.

I went into the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water before getting into my room.

What was happening in my room shocked me and my smile began to fade and fade until it turned into a blank expression.

Dad looked at me with disappointment as he still held all the money on my hands... all my wins from streetfighting.

"When did it start?" he just directly asked.

"Doesn't matter, dad," I told him harshly before getting in and attempting to walk past him.

"ANSWER THE QUESTION, ASHLEY!" he screamed right at my face and grabbing my hand.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't been terrified at first because this is the first time I've seen dad be so angry.

"Dad, I TOLD YOU THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER!" I yelled back trying to overcome his voice.

"YES IT IS!!!" he yelled with an equally loud voice.

"Dad? Ashy? What's going on?" A sleepy Dylan asked rubbing his eyes as he woke up.

I went over to his side, "Dylan, go back to sleep. You look tired."

He nodded and yawned before getting back on the bed and soon enough falling asleep.

"Ashley? Can I have a word with you outside?" my dad asked, now quieter.

I grumpily nodded my head because I knew what was going to come.

I followed him out and he gestured for me to sit down on a chair.

"Is this why you have been coming home lately?" he asked.

I answered with a simple nod.

"When did you start it?" he repeated.

"Five days after we came," I told him.

"WHAT?!" he said his eyes widening, a disbelieving look in his eyes.

I just sighed now growing annoyed.

"Ashley, we came here around a month ago. You've been doing it ever since?"

"Yes, dad," I said trying to formal but it came out more like mocking him.

"Don't yes dad me," he said grumpily getting into one of his moods just like me," We talked about this before."

"Yes, we did! In fact, I think we also agreed that I was allowed to street fight until you get a job and start earning! It's the only way we can pay off the expenses," I explained.

He ran a hand through his hair, which he usually did when he was frustrated.

"Ashley, you have to understand... I'm trying, okay? It's not as easy as it seems. You're going to have to give me some time to work this out," he said taking a deep breath in and closing his eyes.

"Dad! Why don't you get the fact that I'm not blaming you for not getting a job! I'm doing this until you get a job, so we could at least stay stable till then!" I told him.

"Ashley, just get some sleep. We'll talk about this tomorrow," he said still cross but trying not to let it show.

I just groaned and rolled my eyes before heading back to my room moodily and went off to bed immediately even though it was too early for me to get to bed. I felt that I wouldn't be able to survive in this house any longer if I kept my eyes open for even a second more.