Missing His Queen

The young woman crept stealthily along the edge of the hallway, careful to stay hidden amongst the shadows so as to not draw attention to herself. The dark grey wool shawl wrapped tightly around her shoulders did little to protect her from the chill of the cool air in the tunnels that wove there way underneath of the palace floors. Shivering lightly she continued onward down the spiralling staircase as she traveled deeper into the vast maze that once used to contain the torture chambers for prisoners but now, for the last century or two, stood vacant and therefore was perfect for her current need.

Finally reaching the abandoned room she knelt down onto the cold stone floor and pulled out a few pieces of kindling from the small leather satchel tucked underneath her cloak.
After a few moments a small fire flickered to life giving the room an eerie glow as she fed the fire a few more pieces of wood until it blazed brightly. Reaching into the leather satchel she pulled out a small gold vial and removed the cap before dripping a few drops of the bitter smelling liquid into the fire. Almost instantaneously the flames shot high into the room, turning a deep burgundy color before the fire began to warp and bend revealing a completely different scene.

A tall blond haired blue eyed demon peered back at the young woman from deep within the flames, his eyes glowing brightly with evil mirth as he smiled widely back at her. Bowing down low in submission the woman didn't dare raise her head until he acknowledged her, still bearing the scars along her back from the one and only time she was defiant.

"You have done well my slave. I don't know how you managed it but the girl is now within my keep. I'm very pleased with how my plans have played out so far."

"Thank you master. Nothing pleases me more than your satisfaction." A small smile tugged at the edge of her lips as she looked up at him, maybe now he'd finally release her little sister from his hold.

******************

Three long and torturous days passed since he'd left her behind. Each day stretching on longer and longer without his beloved Jaclyn and the time had finally come retrieve her. Closing his eyes Belial slowly felt himself pulled towards Jaci's childhood home as he imagined the last time he'd seen those luminous violet eyes of hers. The room around him slowly began to dissolve into nothingness, he was ready to claim his queen.

The fresh scent of the crisp air was a welcoming change from the usual smell if sulfur that hung heavily around his palace as the small rustic home slowly appeared into sight before him. Once everything finally came into focus he almost raced into the house as the anticipation to see Jaclyn flowed over like the mighty Mississippi flooding over the banks in the springtime. Reaching the front of the house he eagerly knocked on the door, the sound reverberating loudly against the otherwise quiet atmosphere. Waiting a moment for a reply he knocked again, this time louder than the last.

"Jaclyn are you in there?"

Nothing but bleak silence greeted him back. Opening the door he strode into the small home, stopping in his tracks the coppery smell of old blood flooded his senses and his heart missed a beat as it faltered from dread. Where was the smell coming from? Inhaling deeply he walked forward towards the back of the house, where the scent seemed to be the strongest. Coming to the end of the hallway he stopped outside of one of the two doors that were neatly tucked next to each other. The one to his left drew his attention and he knew then that if he opened the door he might get some answers as to what was going on and why Jaclyn wasn't answering.

Stepping forward he almost lost his balance as his foot slipped from beneath him and had to grab into the wall or he'd have ended up sprawled on the floor. Regaining his balance Belial looked down and realized he was standing in some type of dark substance. Leaning down ran his finger along the liquid before lifting it back up to his face and breathing in deeply.