Late Night Guests

A/N: This chapter is not edited yet :/

Over a month had passed since the demon had tormented the village. Although it had yet to reappear the people of the village were feeling the aftermath of its evil presence.

The few livestock that were kept had been found slaughtered a few days ago, left in a bloody heap. Their entrails spread across the small pasture they had been kept in, the rancid smell of rotting flesh filling the air throughout the village. Rats had invaded the small granary in hoards, consuming every last bit of wheat and dried fruit. Soon the storage of fresh food and canned goods in the root cellars began to spoil at an alarming rate. Occurring only in the homes of the people who had taunted Jaci. The few who had not been involved, attempted to share what little food they had with the others to no avail. As soon as a bite of food entered their mouths it turned into ash, doing nothing to satisfy the hunger that ravaged its way through their stomachs. Desperation began to grow as the weeks went by. Something had to be done, and soon...

******************

"Damn it!"

Jaci hissed out. A trickle of blood running down her finger from where the knife had sliced it. Putting the bleeding tip of her finger into her mouth, she made her way over to the kitchen sink and turned on the tap. Cool water flowed from the faucet, holding her hand out, she watched as droplets of blood tinged the water pink. Jaci finished flushing the cut and wrapped a clean cloth around it to help stem the bleeding.

Seriously Jaci, you're the biggest klutz. Shaking her head at herself Jaci grabbed the first aide from the cabinet beneath the sink.

Nate couldn't help as a small chuckle escaped his lips as he walked into the kitchen.

"Jaci what are you doing?"

She had tape stuck to her right hand, which she was waving around frantically, her left hand clutching a white cloth.

"What does it look like? I'm trying to get this tape off, this stuff is too damn sticky."

Nate chuckled and made his way over to help. After a few minutes he had her finger wrapped with gauze, secured tightly in place with tape.

"I never thought making rabbit stew could be so dangerous." He said, after hearing the story of how she cut her finger.

"What can I say I'm prone to trouble apparently." Shrugging her shoulders, Jaci finished pouring the remaining ingredients into the simmering pot of stew.

"The stew should be ready in a few hours or so."

Putting the cast iron lid on the pot, she wiped her hands against her jeans.

*************************

Unknown POV

"That conniving bitch." A soft voice murmured.

A woman ducked down near the edge of a small house. Peering through the corner of a window, she watched as Jaci finished placing the cooked stew in bowls. Sitting down at the table, Jaci began to eat her super.

"Look at how she has no problem with us to starving, while she eats like the gluttonous pig she." Pure hate coated her voice.

They spent several minutes watching as Jaci and Nate enjoyed the delectable stew. Hunger tore its way through their stomachs, a strong reminder of the demons curse. The curse that Jaci caused. Without her they would have never been hunted down by demons. Everyone would have been left in peace, ignorant to the slaughter that lay beyond the boarder of the forest.

"We only have a few weeks to prevent her from summoning that black creature. I say we find a way to stop her." The tall man said, leaning in closer to the window. His warm breath fogging the glass.

"I agree, but how do we make that happen? She's a marked one by blood, who knows what powers she has." The woman replied, a sly grin coating her face.

Taking a moment to think, he continued to stare at Jaci.

"Why don't we have our own sacrifice? Let's appease the dark creatures lust for blood."

"What could we sacrifice? We don't have any more animals left." She looked over at him, trying to think of what he could be referring to.

"I never said it was an animal sacrifice. I'm thinking about a human sacrifice. I doubt the demons would accept anything less." The man looked at her, as if trying to gauge her reaction.

"Who were you thinking about?"

"I think it might be in our interest to help remove a certain curse from the village. Why don't we help give Jaci a very special birthday present. One she'll most definitely never forget." He turned around, and grabbed the woman's shoulder, tugging her towards the woods.

It was time to get a plan together. Jaci wouldn't get away with what she'd done, and they would do their best to ensure that she didn't....

**********************

Jaci and Nate sat the small clearing that lay behind their house. Every day since their encounter with the demonic creature that terrorized the village, Nate had demanded Jaci learn a little bit of self defense. Each afternoon was spent with Nate practicing. She'd learned how to throw punches and even how to wield a sword.

"Jaci why don't we see what you've learned so far?" Nate held out one of the steel practice swords, it's edges were chipped from use.

Jaclyn grabbed onto the hilt, balancing its heavy weight between both hands. Taking a few practice swings through the air, she spread her feet shoulder width apart.

"Let's do this. I think I may be able to finally give you a run for your money." Jaci smirked, curling her hand in a come here motion.

Nate raised his own sword in the air, its tip dulled to prevent piercing the opponent. Suddenly his sword slashed down at Jaci, aiming for her right shoulder. Raising her own sword barely in time, Jaci felt a shock travel down her arm as the two swords collided. Stepping to the left, she brought her own sword down as she attempted to strike at his flank, blocked as Nate brought up his own sword to deflect her attack. They continued to strike at and evade each other, their movements beginning to blur as they fought on.

Jaci had taken on the offensive position, swinging and slashing her sword through the air as she attempted to make contact with Nate, who continued to easily evade her attacks. As her sword clashed against Nate's, he changed his tactic. Now he advanced against her, pushing Jaci back as the force of his strikes grew greater in force.

Sweet began to trickle down her face as Jaci felt herself fighting to match each swing of his sword, her strength beginning to wan. Several minutes passed and Jaci's movements began to slow as she fought to match Nate swing for swing. Jaci felt a sting in her wrist as Nate made contact, causing her to loose the grip on her sword. Stumbling back, she attempted to reach for the sword that lay on the ground next to her. She was stopped as Nate held his sword pointed at her chest.

"Not bad Jaci, you're getting a lot better." A smile covering his face.

Nate reached his hand out help her up. Jaci was reaching to grab his hand when she heard someone clapping from behind him.

Jaci felt a small gasp escape her lips as she noticed who was in the clearing behind Nate.

***********************

A/N I wonder who it can be? Things are definitely about to get interesting for Jaci. Let me know what you think of the story so far :)