Arrival

Racing across the village Evelyn carried a crying Maya tightly in her arms, the ringing of the bells seemed to be relentless as she carried onwards. The streets became eerily devoid of human life as the people in the village sought shelter within their homes. Evelyn knew the flimsy wooden doors would do little to stop the demons from barging into their homes and dragging them out into the streets to slaughter them where they lay.

Trees loomed above her as she raced into the dense woods, struggling to get herself as far away from the village as she could. If she stayed she'd be as good as dead, and in all honesty the only person she'd ever given a damn about there was Maya, Evelyn didn't intend on sacrificing herself for them. Not when she could seek shelter with Nate, who she was desperately hoping was far enough away from the village that the demons wouldn't bother with his place. Hopefully they'd be too occupied with all of innocent souls left in town to allow her enough time to get away. Carrying forward Evelyn trudged through the woods, her pace was little more than a quick walk as she struggled with the weight of holding Maya and managing to barely not loose her footing over the dense undergrowth that ran rampant throughout the forest.

Sudden silence shrouded the woods, causing pure terror to take grip on her, her breaths coming out in ragged uneven pants. The absence of the chiming bell could only mean one thing. The demons and other dark beings were now within sight of the small village, she didn't have much time to get away. Picking up her pace so that she was sprinting, Evelyn raced towards Nate's house, her heart beating erratically against her chest. Maya whimpered lightly as branches scratched roughly against them as Evelyn cut through the dense woods. Several moments passed and she found herself beginning to loose steam, her muscles aching with the strenuous effort of carrying Maya as she ran.

The silence in the woods was deafening and Evelyn felt herself on the edge of having a panic attack. If she didn't make it out of the woods soon she'd run a very high chance of getting caught by demon scouts and their hellhound pet, just the thought of what was coming almost made her feel bad for those left behind in the village, almost...

Light loomed slowly out of the darkness ahead and she let out a sigh of relief as she saw the faint outlines of Nate's home in the distance. Adrenaline pumping throughout her body was the only thing that kept her going, her muscles began to quiver with fatigue, as she struggled onward. Finally reaching the edge of the woods, Evelyn let out a strangled sob as she saw Nate was still home, watching as he passed in front of the small kitchen window. Thank God he was home, in all honesty she didn't know what she would have done if he'd already left. Lifting up a shaking hand Evelyn banged her fist against the heavy oak door, her nerves were pretty much shot, as she waited for him to come to the door. After a moment the door slowly opened, revealing Nate holding a steaming cup of coffee, his eyebrows raised as he looked at a trembling Evelyn holding Maya clutched tightly in her arms.

"Evelyn what's going on? Did something happen to you?" Nate stepped forward and took Maya from her arms, gesturing for Evelyn to head inside the house.

Stepping around him, she stumbled her way over to the kitchen table before collapsing into one of the wooden chairs, running her hands nervously down her face. Taking a moment to gather herself Evelyn glanced over at a confused Nate.

"They're back Nate, my god they've come back."

"Who's come back Evelyn? What's gotten you so shook up?" Nate slowly walked over to the table, resting his broad hand on Evelyn's shoulder.

"The demons are back Nate, they've come back for us. There is apparently a whole regiment of them marching towards the village. Right before I got to your house the alarm bells stopped ringing, you know what that means don't you?"