Sickly Sweet

Blistering pain radiated across the necrotic and festering skin that never healed, throbbing endlessly as it slowly destroyed the last bits of sanity she had left. Maya and Nate had been long gone and she still hadn't left the confines of the cabin, days blended into one another and she lost track of how long she'd been in this dreadful place for. The ravenous growling of her stomach protested loudly at the blatant neglect, she hadn't eaten since the morning the hoard of demons arrived. Stumbling to her feet, Evelyn lurched forward slowly with uneasy steps, heading towards the kitchen. A drink of water would definitely help slow down her stomach from feeling like it was slowly consuming itself from the inside out. A wave of dizziness darkened the edges of her vision and she tripped, sprawling to a messy heap on the hard wood floors, the side of her head smacked hard against countertop on her way down and stars danced brightly before her eyes.

Pain radiated across her head and she turned onto her side, gagging up bits of green bile and phlegm, the agony of her wounds where too overwhelming for her to manage to do anything else. Crawling forward she grabbed onto the edge of the counter, pulling with all of her might until she managed to get herself upright and standing on two feet. Swaying back and forth, she swallowed several times to keep herself from dry heaving as her head began to throb relentlessly, the noise in the room seemed muted as buzzing in her ears drowned out any other sound. Miraculously she somehow managed to keep herself from tumbling back to the ground and slowly made her way over to the water pump above the cast iron sink. Weakly pumping the handle up and down, water began to trickle out of the end of the spout and she cupped her palms below it to gather the precious liquid before bringing her hands to her chapped, dry lips for a desperately needed drink.

A few minutes later she turned away from the sink, her stomach momentarily satisfied with the quick fix, though the cool water did nothing to soothe the torment of her flesh wounds or the now dull ache of her fractured jaw. Heading out of the kitchen she shuffled towards the back of the house, bracing herself against the walls as she went, welcoming the solid support. Passing a doorway she looked down at the ground, the mirror in the bathroom reflected her grotesque image and she couldn't bare the sight of the warped skin on her face, one look was enough to repulse anyone and she'd seen just what the demon had done to her once flawless image a few days ago. Reaching the next doorway she turned the knob before swinging open the door to Nate's room. Trudging her way into the room, she began to strip the bloody, dirty clothes from her aching body, dropping them carelessly on the floor as she made her way to the old oak dresser, it's drawers creaking loudly as she began to pull them open. Coming across a large forest green t-shirt she gingerly slipped it over head, sucking in a breath of air as the shirt snagged up on her ear, sharp shards of pain radiated across her face and she couldn't stop the lone tear that escaped from her watery eyes. Inhaling sharply she tugged the shirt free, gingerly pulling down the cool cotton until it slid down her battered body, ending a few inches above her bruised knees.

The pain became a dull throb in the back of her mind as her attention suddenly snapped to the small frame on the bedside table. Unsteady legs wobbled beneath her as made her way over to the table, picking up the frame she began to tremble as she stared intently at the picture cradled lovingly in it. Nathan had his arm slung casually around Jaclyn's shoulders, both of them smiling widely as the freshness of youth still sparkled brightly from matching sets of bright sky blue eyes. The picture was before everyone's world was ripped away and the harsh realities of life slammed into them like a freight train.

The innocent, smiling duo in the picture was enough to cause a flare of hatred to burn hotly throughout her, the last desperate grasp she had on her sanity snapped and she threw the picture frame against the wall. Shards of wood scattered across the floor and she fell to the ground in a heap amongst the pieces, her life now as broken as the destroyed frame. Despite everything that had happened with the demon, the warped grasp she had on reality didn't stop her mind from wandering back to Nate and the feelings she felt consuming her. Outrage at the fact he'd willingly betrayed her so easily to the demon corroded into a sickly sweet feeling of false love and she scrambled forward to clutch the destroyed photo. The pieces of broken wood from had scratched parts of the fragile picture, but surprisingly enough neither Jaci or Nate's images had sustained any damage. Staring down at the photo she traced her fingers lovingly along the edges of Nate's face, fantasizing about just what she'd do the next time she laid eyes on him. The second her finger touched the part of the photo the Jaci was on she pulled her hand back as if it was scorched by fire and loathing consumed her entire body.