Demon Lover

10 years later......

Jaclyn stood at the edge of the crystalline lake, glaring hard at image that reflected back at her from the crystal clear water of the lake. Violet coloured eyes sparkled with intelligence, plump lips turned down slightly in a frown as she threw a rock into the water, distorting the image before her. A heart shaped face was framed with thick silky black hair that cascaded down her back, ending right above shapely hips. Jaci had grown into a stunning young woman, but none of that mattered to her. Why would it when your life really wasn't your own.

Jaci wasn't the only thing that had changed as the years had passed by. The world as humanity had known it was gone forever. Demons and a vast array of dark creatures now ruled over the world, having killed a massive portion of the human population in a massive genocide. The sky was no longer blue, instead it was colored a ashy grey, tinged red from the flames of wildfires that continued to burn uncontrollably throughout the countryside. Wildlife and flora drastically dwindled in supply, and with that came high rates of starvation amongst the few remaining human survivors. The world was truly a living hell, famine and death quickly eradicating the last of those that remained hidden.

The small village in which she lived had been one of the few lucky ones sparred during the war, due only to the blood oath she had taken to save them all from an army of darkness. A small sacrifice one would think, in exchange of so many lives, but she truly wondered sometimes if it was all really worth it . Two months away marked the date of her 18th birthday and she felt the window on her freedom slowly closing shut.

"Jaci" Nathan called out angrily, stopping a few feet away from her.

The demon had kept his promise and returned Nathan to the living, only it hadn't come without a price upon Nate as well. Coal black eyes stared back at her, a grim expression touching his face. Darkness seemed to have tainted his soul, leaving its residue upon the young man beside her.

"What have I said about coming down here without me Jaci " Grasping her hand he tugged her away from the waters edge, pulling her along behing him.

"You remember the last time you didn't listen, you were nearly attacked by a Manticore. If it hadn't been for your eyes revealing you as a marked one you would have been devoured alive."

Yanking her arm back from his grasp she dug her heels into the dirt, stopping Nate in from dragging her any further along.

"Why would my death matter to you Nate? If I remember correctly I'm the one who saved you from death not the other way around" Jaci spat out in anger, sounding like a petulant child.

Nathan's eyes appeared to grow even darker, reflecting the darkness that now infested his soul.

"I do care Jaci. You're the only family I have left." Grief coated his face at the memory of the house fire that had claimed the lives of their parents last year and with that the only family they had left besides each other.

"Plus I never remember asking for you to sacrifice yourself for me, you know better than to think I'd value myself over you."

Jaci felt the bitterness leave her at his words.

Nate is right, we only have each other left now. I can't believe I'm being so selfish.

"I'm sorry Nate, I know you mean well, I honestly just needed some time alone to think. Soon I won't even be given the luxury of being allowed that freedom . I feel like I'm losing myself Nate. Everyones is turning their backs on me in disgust. I've had parents pull away their children from me in fear that just being around me could corrupt them ."

Tears began to flood her eyes and Nate pulled her tightly to his chest, stroking her back in an attempt to calm her down.

"I can't imagine how you feel Jaci, but remember I'll always be here for you. No matter where we are, I'll always love you little sis"