Don't Take What's His

Nate laid sprawled on thick wool blankets, snoring softly as Evelyn crept into the room. Perfect... Evelyn thought smugly to herself, settling onto the bed next to him. It was all too easy.

A rustle of the blankets alerted Evelyn that Nate was slowly waking up. Leaning over him she felt the anticipation build inside her as she relished the moment. Blinking his eyes a few time Nate slowly looked around her room, confusion flashed in his eyes.

"Evelyn what am I doing here? Where's Jaci at?" Sitting up he tried to swing his legs over the edge of the bed, stopped by Evelyn's hand resting softly on his chest.

"Nate I think it's better if you stay sitting for this. There's something I have to tell you." Evelyn felt herself fighting not to smile. Composing herself she leaned into Nate, wrapping her arms tightly about his waist. "Please don't hate me Nate, but I have to tell you something bad. I didn't want you to be alone when you found out."

"Evelyn what's going on? You're starting to scare me."

Ok Evelyn time for the water works, this next part is important. She felt her eyes water as she looked up at him with big doe eyes. "Nate I don't know how to tell you this so I'm just going to get straight to the point. Jaclyn is gone."

Nate pulled back slightly from her. "What do you mean she's gone Evelyn? Jaci and I were just eating supper together earlier and suddenly I'm here with you."

"When I stopped by your house earlier babe, the door was wide open. I tried calling out your name but you didn't answer so I went in the house. It was horrible Nate." Evelyn wailed the last part, clutching tightly to his shirt. "There was blood all over the kitchen, Jaci was nowhere in sight and you were passed out on the floor by the kitchen table. It was terrifying baby, I tried looking for Jaci but I couldn't find her anywhere. I didn't want to leave you there in case whatever took Jaci came back so I had a few people help me bring you here."

Nate remained silent as she finished, causing her to shift nervously on the bed. He's got to believe me or this isn't going to work. Evelyn thought to herself, keeping a close eye on him trying to gauge his reaction to her news.

"Are you certain you looked everywhere Evelyn? Jaci could still be out there somewhere." Nate pulled her back slightly, his eyes pleading.

"I'm pretty certain baby, no one could have survived that much blood loss. I looked around and I didn't see any sign of her, it was getting too late and I didn't want to risk keeping you there any longer."

"I don't care what could have happened to me Evelyn, I need to make certain she isn't out there hurt. Jaci might need help, she could still be alive." Hope burned in his eyes. Nate was never the type to give up easily. "What time is it Evelyn?"

Damn it. Why can't the stupid man just listen to me? Looking over at her small alarm clock on the desk she shot Nate a pleading look.

"Babe it's about a minute from midnight. It's too dark out to find anything right now."

"Evelyn, I appreciate all that you have done for me, but I can't chance staying here. She's my sister, I won't risk not looking for her because it's too dark out." Standing up, he began to head towards the bedroom door.

Evelyn felt a moment of panic. "Wait a minute Nate! I'll come with you, two sets of eyes are better than one."

Nate paused, looking back at her, a small smile touching his lips. "Thank you Evelyn, that means a lot to me. "

"I'd do anything to help you baby, should we get going?" Leaning over she grabbed a light beige jacket, slipping her feet into a pair of brown knee high boots. Walking over to Nate she grabbed tightly onto his hand.