Chapter 4

The bus ride home was quiet and agonisingly long. Usually when I have my headphones, I love long journeys because I can just listen to my music but for some reason, I was incredibly keen to get home.

Because the bus journey seemed so long, I had plenty of time on my hands, most of which I spent thinking.. thinking about that Calum guy.
In my opinion, it just didn't add up.. Calum was really attractive, but Luke and Michael are as well (not that I would ever say that to them), but Calum was sweet and nice and seemed like a really genuine guy- and he was extremely intelligent, I just don't understand why a guy with so much to offer like him, would spend his free time with two guys like Luke and Michael who spend their time basically bullying me for their own amusement.

---------------------

When I arrived home, I was surprised to see that my mother was already home from work, she was sitting in the kitchen with a lady whom I was positive I had never seen before in my life.

"Gemma dear, could you come in here for a second please?" My mother called as I shut the front door behind me.

I entered the kitchen and my mum motioned me over to the kitchen table where she was sitting with the lady.
"Gemma, this is Anne."
The woman held her hand out for me to shake it.
"Anne and her children moved in next door earlier this afternoon."

"That's nice," I smiled, I really didn't care, I don't interact with the neighbours anyway,
"From Australia!" My mother added.
"Cool." I smiled again, trying to disguise the fact that I was uninterested in Anne's background.
"We're going out for dinner, your father is going to meet us there so both of us will be home late. No parties, no boys, no takeout, don't leave the house, lock the door, turn out the light if you leave a room and for gods' sake Gemma, don't put the heating on! If you're cold put on a sweater."

After giving me the instructions and rules, my mother and Anne left and I could not be happier, I was looking forward to having the house all to myself and unwinding on the sofa to literally watch television all night long.

--

So far, the night was going well.
I had watched two episodes of the vampire diaries and then began Horrible Bosses 2

Just as Nick, Kurt and Dale found Rex tied up in the trunk of their car, the doorbell rang.
I quickly paused the movie before going to get the door.

I opened the door to see a tall boy with curly brown hair staring down at his phone.
"Er.. Can I help you?"
The boy looked up from his phone and smiled.
"Sorry, i'm looking for a woman called Anne Marie Irwin?"
"She left a few hours ago."
"Oh.. Do you know where she went?"
"Erm.. I don't usually tell random people things like that.."
He laughed at my response,
"I'm her son." He then held up his phone to display a photo of him with Anne.
"Is this supposed to be proof?" I asked sarcastically.
"Well when the Australian accent didn't tip you off, I thought that might." He laughed.
"She's out for a meal with my parents."

The Australian boy looked slightly disappointed that his mother wasn't here.
"Okay, well.. Thanks anyway, I'm Ashton." He smiled, sticking his hand out for me to shake.
"Gemma." I smiled, shaking his hand.