Chapter 48

"Wai- you what?"
"Yeah, I like you and last night you told me you liked me too so I took a chance and asked you to be my girlfriend."

Luke was still standing inches away from me.
"And I said yes?"
"Yeah, you did." He replied, resting his arm on my shoulder.
"And I was happy."

"This is too much it ju- no! It doesn't.. It doesn't make sense. Wha- since when?!"
"I liked you before I even fucking knew you, Gemma." He laughed slightly.
"You what?"

"I've known Michael for years and I know how close you two were. He talked about you a lot and he was always telling me things about you or what you guys did that day or how kind and funny and smart you are, and then when you came into the school I saw this extremely pretty girl with a clothing attitude that said she didn't care but grades that said she did and amazing eyes that I could get lost in and I felt something I hadn't felt for years, and when Michael told me that you were that girl- I tried to show feelings, then I got afraid and decided to try make you hate me so much that you would be rude to me and I wouldn't like you anymore."

He paused and smiled slightly,
"But you never ever did, Gemma. You never gave me a reason to hate you, you were always so nice about how much of a dick I was. It wa- you were perfect. I had found this girl who was intelligent and funny and kind and pretty and she was polite. I wanted you in my life."

"You think I'm pretty?"
"I think you're beautiful."

"You make my life worth something, Gemma."
"This is a lot to take in, you know that right?"
"Well yeah, but when I told you it all last night, you wanted to be a part of my life an-"
"Luke, I was drunk." I interrupted.

"You aren't now though."
"What's that supposed t-" I didn't get to finish my sentence because Luke pressed his lips to mine and dropped his hand to the small of my back to push me closer to him.

He pulled away before speaking, but didn't move his hands and I didn't push him back.
"You can't say there was no truth in what you said last night."
"Luke I-"
"Gemma. If you don't want this, even the slightest.. Stop me. Say no and I'll walk away."
He interrupted before slowly moving his lips closer to mine, he was literally centimetres away from my face when he whispered,
"Drunk words are sober thoughts, right?"

But he didn't close the gap this time.
I did.