Chapter 42

By the end of the day I was beyond done with everyone and everything around me.
I just needed the detention to pass as quick as possible.

I arrived to the classroom the detention was being held in as soon as the final bell rang and I was the first one there.
I had recognised the teacher from seeing her around school but she had never taught me so I didn't know her name.

I walked up to the teacher at the desk and gave her my name,
"Ah yes, Gemma. You're here for disruptive behaviour in class."
"Mm hm." I mumbled.

I took a seat at the very front, I figured most of the people that usually get detentions would prefer the back and I did not want to get on the wrong side of them.

A few seniors came in and sat at the very back corner, then Luke came in.

"Mr. Hemmings, detention again?" The teacher asked.
"When am I not in detention." He laughed slightly.

The teacher looked down her list before speaking to him again.
"For fighting in school? Again, Luke?"
"And for disruptive behaviour in class, that's a new one." He added smugly.
"Who was the victim this time?"
"Same guy." He simply stated.

"You can't keep beating up your cousin, Luke! What did he do this time?" The teacher asked him. He seemed to be almost friends with the teacher which actually made slight sense because all I know about her is that she takes after school detention most days.

He looked at me and a smirk grew on his lips before turning back to the teacher,
"Nothing worth mentioning." He replied before taking a seat near the back.

Thankfully detention flew by and would've actually been pretty decent if Luke and his senior friends could have laughed quieter.

When the teacher dismissed us, I practically ran down the stairs to leave but as soon as I got outside it was raining. Great.

I didn't have a jumper or even a shirt with me, It was relatively warm when I was leaving the house so I only wore my Good Charlotte tee.

I began walking anyway, by the time I got to the bottom of the street the school was on, I was soaked inside and out. Then a car pulled over beside me on the footpath and when the driver window was rolled down it was Luke.

"Need a lift?"
"I'm fine." I snapped.
"C'mon Gemma."

"No."
He got out of the car before speaking up again, "i'm trying to be nice here."
"You asked me if I needed a lift and I told you I was fine."
"Yeah, but-"
"I'm almost home anyway."
"I know how long it takes to get to your house, you're soaked already!"
I groaned.
"Will you just get in the car, please?" He replied, running his hand through his hair in frustration.

I began walking away.
"FINE!" He yelled, clearly annoyed.
He ran to catch up with me and stopped me in my tracks.

"At least take me jacket." He pleaded, gesturing to the black zip-up he was wearing.
"Luke, no."
"I'm in the car! You're walking for ages. It isn't a loss to me."
Before I even got a chance to reply he had taken the jacket off to reveal his tattooed arms to the rain.

He put the jacket over my shoulders and I didn't object, it was warm and i was freezing. Then he ran back to his car and sped away.