Chapter 55

I know I said I wouldn't update on holiday but I'm giving you guys an update to celebrate 4K READS WTF THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!

AND IM GIVING IT TO YOU A DAY EARLY

Within five minutes Ashton was at my front door and when I opened it he immediately pulled me into a hug.

"What's this for?" I mumbled into his chest.
"I just haven't hugged you in ages." He replied after pulling back.

I led Ashton into the living room and he sat on the sofa and I sat cross-legged on the floor facing him.

"So, what did you want to talk about?"
"My er.. boyfr- Ex boyfriend. My ex boyfriend."
I mumbled, looking down at my hands.

"What, Dylan? Didn't he go back home or something?"
"Yeah, he did. But he's not my ex. Well he is but he's not who I'm talking about."

Ashton looked confused.
I figured I just had to rip the bandage off, it was now or never.

"There's no easy way to say this, Ash.." I began,
"I was dating someone.. For almost two weeks and I- er.. I didn't tell you and I'm.. I'm sorry."

Ashton laughed slightly,
"Gemma, why is it such a big deal that you didn't tell me?"

"Because it was Luke." I blurted quickly.

"What?" Ashton sounded angry.

"Luke and I were dating for almost a fortnight and I couldn't find the right time to tell you and I'm sorry, Ashton. I really am!" I pleaded.
"Wha- I just.. How?"

I continued to spend about a half an hour filling Ashton in on basically everything that has happened, except the part about the alleged break up.

Ashton seemed surprisingly supportive and understanding which made me feel awful about not coming clean to him sooner.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, Ashton.."
"It's fine Gemma. But, why did you choose now to tell me?"

I sighed and felt a few tears run down my cheeks.
Ashton crouched down and wiped the tears away.

I just poured everything out to him immediately.

It took me about fifteen minutes because I started crying almost every time I tried to begin a sentence.

By the time I finished telling Ashton, I was a wreck and he was sitting down on the floor beside me with my head resting on his shoulder.

Ashton let me do everything.
He didn't get mad that I had lied or kept secrets from him, he listened to me, he tried to make me feel better and he let me vent to him. All I could think about was how lucky I was to have him as a friend and what a terrible one I've been to him.

"It's only been a few hours and I already miss him! I just don't know what to do!" I sobbed.
"Look Gem, do you really want to try and get back together with him?"

I nodded.
"He seems like an ass to me but if he makes you happy.. you're lucky I like you because I'll.. Erm- I'll help you get him back."
I hugged Ashton tighter than I've ever hugged anyone in my entire life when I heard him agree to help me.

"BUT! You have to go one day without trying to fix it first to see if your life is actually that much worse without him." Ashton added.
"Fine." I huffed.

--
To say that my day was hell would be an understatement. I walk past Luke and he doesn't look up, I've talked to Kate and Ashton about it and they both agree that I should be angry at him for being a child about this whole thing, the days seem longer, I fight the urge to approach him and I've had to excuse my self on three different occasions to go into a stall in the bathroom and cry.

You are coming over and we are sorting this, I cannot go another day without trying to fix this! I feel like shit, Ash!
-Gem

Ashton came over shortly after replying to my text.

He stayed for a few more hours and figured how we could get Luke and I somewhere to talk at school because there was no doubt in my mind that he would attempt to avoid me.

--

Ashton and I walked into the school gates side by side. We found Michael in a hope that he would help us, well- me, find Luke.

"Luke has French first so he'll probably skip that class." Michael said.
"And we have politics second so he probably won't show up for that either." I mumbled and Michael nodded.

"So what does he do at break?" Ashton asked Michael.
"If Luke isn't coming in for his morning classes then he won't come in until break ends."

"Lunch? What does he do at lunch?"
"He eats in the canteen with us and then we usually hang around the west corridor."

"Thanks, Michael." I smiled.
"Anytime, I'll text you if he shows up for French."

I nodded and we went our separate ways.
Michael was right, I didn't see Luke at all until I saw the blonde in the canteen at lunch.

They left the canteen and headed towards the west corridor and I knew I had to talk to him.

"Are you ready for this?" Ashton asked.
"Nope." I replied before leaving Ashton's side and approaching him in the almost empty corridor.

"Luke, can we talk?" I asked.
"There's nothing to talk about."
"How about why you dumped me?"

Luke laughed slightly.
"Go find your weird senior friend, Ashley or something." He replied.
"I need answers, Luke."

"No, what you need is to forget about me, forget about what I said, forget about the dating, forget about us and move on with your life." He half-yelled sourly.

He turned his back on me before mumbling, "I'm not good for you, Gemma."
"What?"
"Just go away!" He began walking away.
"Don't push me away Luke!"
"Fuck off, Gemma."

"You know what?!" I shouted and he stopped.

"Fine, but just know this!" I began, tears welling in my eyes with his back still facing me, "I can pretend to be mad at you, I can pretend you're not on my mind all day, I can pretend not to care when I hear someone say your name, I can pretend I don't miss you as much as I do, I can pretend that it's not killing me to walk by you and say nothing and I can pretend we never happened.. But the one thing I can't do is pretend that I don't love you, Luke."

He turned and began walking extremely quickly to me.
Within a split second he cupped my cheeks and connected our lips.

It felt like the first time we had kissed in ages and it was perfect. Luke could tell me he was mad at me, but the kiss said otherwise.

Luke pulled away,
"I love you so fucking much, Gemma."