Chapter 10

The rest of the week came and went too fast for my liking, I got a few new bruises on my arm, another one on the opposite side of my face and a hit that caused the slice on my lip to reopen.. all that in the course of three days.

The afternoons were better, I spent most of them helping Ashton study the French he missed from not doing it as a junior, the majority of the time we ended up slacking off and watching movies or going for a walk or something- but when we did actually do work, he picked it up quick.

It was now Friday.
When my alarm went off and I came downstairs, the house was deserted. I entered the kitchen to find a note on the countertop.

Gemma,
Not sure if we ever actually said to you what time we were leaving, but we're gone now- we will be back on Sunday night or Monday morning.
You know the house rules.
The guest bedroom has been set up for Michael.
We love you sweetie, have fun this weekend, don't sit inside all day!!
- M+D

It didn't surprise me that my parents left without telling me, but it surprised me that they left so early.

As I was applying concealer to my cheeks, I head my phone beep.

A: to say thanks for helping me study, can I give you a ride to and from school?x

I quickly sent Ashton a reply to say it was alright and that I was planning on walking before finishing getting ready.

The fact that I was walking to school persuaded me to leave earlier than usual but I walked faster than I had expected and arrived in school before Ashton.

I looked at my timetable and all of my classes were boring as hell, which was good, because then the day would drag and I could keep putting off Michael coming to my house.

"Gemma!" Ashton called from behind me.
"Hey." I smiled.
"You walk fast.. So I was thinking-"
"That's never good." I interrupted.
Ashton laughed at my comment before continuing.
"I was thinking, to say thanks for all the help, you could come round and we could have a movie night tonight." He smiled.

As much as I wanted to sit in all night and watch movies with Ashton, I didn't want to leave Michael unattended in my empty house..

"I would love to! But I can't, I'm sorry"
I walked away before he could ask any questions about why.

--

History was my first class, that's when I was planning to find out when Michael was coming.

"Look who's actually on time today." Mr Browne stated as I walked through the door. I flashed him a fake smile before taking my seat beside Michael.

"What time are you coming round at?"
"I dunno."
"What do you mean you dunno?"
"As in, I do not know."
"No shit, how do you not know? I kinda need to know?"
He ignored my previous question.

"Michael!" I snapped.
"Late, okay? Late. That's all I know. And Luke can't know, Calum can't know and your weird senior friend can't be there either, alright? Is that enough information for you miss carter?"
I rolled my eyes and began listening to Mr Browne.