Chapter 5

"Could you maybe tell her I was looking for her when she gets back please?" He asked politely.
"They shouldn't be long.. You could hang back here and wait for her?"
I don't know what came over me, maybe it was his smile, maybe it was his accent, or maybe it was because he seemed like such a genuinely nice person..
"I mean, if you want to, you don't have to. In fact, I completely get it if you don't want to, i'm just the g-"
"sure." He laughed and I stepped aside to let him in.

I lead Ashton into the living room where the television was still paused on a close up of Nick's face after opening the trunk.
"I'm not interrupting your movie or anything, right? I mean, I can leave and let you watch it." He stated hesitantly.
"No no no, it's fine! Really, i've seen this movie like seventeen times."
"What movie?"
"Horrible Bosses 2?" I replied. A look of confusion flashed over Ashton's face.
"You've never seen Horrible Bosses, have you?"
"Never even heard of it." He laughed.

Ashton sat down beside me on the sofa and I put on the first Horrible Bosses and experienced a lot more of his laughter than I had expected to hear, most of the time I couldn't hold it in and ended up laughing at his laugh rather than at the movie. Soon enough, the movie ended.
"Wow.. Looks like our parents are having a really good time." I mumbled.
"What do you mean?"
"It's eleven and they aren't home yet."
"It would surprise me if my mother was home before eleven."
"My parents are rarely out after eight." I laughed.

We watched the second Horrible Bosses just because we could, and by one AM we had decided to stop watching the television and started talking about everything, his background, my background, what Australia was like, how he likes it here, his taste in music and then just random stuff, turns out we have a lot in common and I would really love a friendship with someone like Ashton.

"So, are you in a school yet?"
"No, actually I start West Ridge on Monday."
"Shut up! No way, you're kidding, right?"
"Why would I lie to you about the school i'm starting?" He laughed.
"I'm in WR!"
"Thank God! Maybe I won't be like that loner new kid in the movies, always getting picked on and shit for having no friends on his first day." He laughed,
through the hours we were together, I had discovered that Ashton laughed.. a lot.

I immediately felt bad that Ashton thought that hanging out with me on his first day would be the highlight of his new school, I wanted so bad to tell him about me being bullied and hated but I couldn't, I really liked having Ashton around, I just had to avoid letting him see Luke and Michael come near me.

"You look really young for a senior though," He laughed, "But I mean that as a compliment."
"oh.. i'm not a Senior, i'm only a junior.." I mumbled.
"oh, that's cool" He smiled.

Ashton and I started talking about random things all over again, joking around, laughing and getting to know each other, if I had it my way, I wouldn't let the night end. Unfortunately, I was reminded that it had to end when the doorbell rang.
It was my parents and Anne.
The smile Ashton had put on my face faded when his mother thanked mine for the wonderful evening before telling Ashton they should go.

I saw the two of them out and was about to shut the door when it was stopped by a foot.
"Hey Gemma," He smiled down at me after I re-opened the front door.
"You wanna do something tomorrow?"
"yeah," My smile reappeared, "I'd like that."
"Me too, well, goodnight Gemma"
"Goodnight Ashton."
Even after I had shut the door, I was still smiling.