Chapter 14

I got off at the stop before Michael to make my way to the side gate of the school.

Michael was right.
I didn't run in to Luke at all on my way to Mr Browne's classroom. One teacher happens to take Saturday detention since such little pupils have to attend, and, 'luckily' for me, it was Mr Browne.

"Gemma! You're early." He said as I walked into the familiar room.
"Oh the irony." He added.
"Sorry, sir?"
"You see you're early for something that you have to do because you're always late, see if you just did what you did there now, we wouldn't be here."
"Okay, sir." I replied before sitting down.
"Gemma, your hour starts now."

Quicker you arrive, the quicker you leave.

About five minutes in to my hour of nothing, the door opened, and in came James, Luke and Michael. James is one of Luke and Michael's senior friends, he's never really in because he's always getting suspended for getting into fights, but all that aside, he's actually a pretty nice person.

James sat at the very back of the classroom by himself, Michael and Luke sat two rows behind me.

"I called to your house yesterday."
"You did?"
"How come you didn't show last night?" I heard Luke ask Michael.
"Parties aren't my thing." He responded.
"Bullshit!"
"Why does it even matter, Luke?"
"You always come to parties with me! The party was at seven and you know it! What, did you have something better to do?"
"Yeah, actually, I did." Michael replied.

I didn't mean to listen to their conversation, but I could hear it extremely well and there was nothing else going on in the class that I could redirect my attention to.

"Well if you weren't home, where were you?"

At that moment, I thought I was going to faint.. If Michael tells Luke, God only knows what would happen to me..

"I was.. out.." Michael trailed off.
"Where?"
"Dude, since when do you care?" Michael laughed.
"Since Calum and I were waiting on you for half an hour?"
"I was out with my parents."

The boys fell into silence for a while after Michael's response.
"So, can I come round tonight?" Luke asked.
Michael sighed.
"Nah, my parents won't let anyone over."
"Well, you wanna come to mine?"
"I can't."

I didn't understand his response at all, he knew he could leave, I told him I would cover for him.

"What?" Luke laughed, "Why not?"
"I'm busy." He replied bluntly.
"Doing..?"
"I'm going out."
"With who?"
"Dude, since when do you care?"
"Since Calum, James and I are your only friends and we're all gonna be at mine." Luke laughed.
"I'm going out with.. a girl."

That's when their conversation stopped.
I had made it perfectly clear to Michael that he could go to Luke's if he wanted..