Chapter 45

Luke and I sat eating in silence for a while before he spoke up.
"Nice jacket." He smirked.
"Shut up." I mumbled, taking it off and handing it across the table to him.

"You can keep it, I've got loads."
"Really?"
"Yeah, why so surprised?"
"It's a really nice jacket and it was probably expensive and I-"
"Gemma." He interrupted.
"What?"
"You're babbling."
"Sorry."
"Keep it, it probably smells girly anyway."
I laughed slightly at his comment and he joined in.

And again, back to silence.

"In the nicest possible way, do you know why we're here?" I asked.
"Didn't your mum tell you?"
"It's something to do with some deal she needs your mum to accept, that's all I know."
"You're mum's kinda like a travel agent sort of thing, right?"
I nodded.
"They went to school together or something, your mum needs mine to sign something to go fifty-fifty on a timeshare thing," He began, shoving a forkful of spaghetti into his mouth before continuing, "They want us to own a house in California together."

Next thing I knew I was choking on my spaghetti and coughing a hell of a lot.
"You can't be serious!" I half-yelled.
He kept eating.
"Doesn't that bother you?"
"Not really, Gemma, no. We'll never be in it at the same time anyway so it'll be fine."

Luke and I finished our food at basically the same time and just as he set his fork down on his plate, he managed to splash sauce on to his white shirt.

"Shit." He mumbled and I couldn't help but laugh slightly.
"It's not funny."
"It's kinda funny."
He glared at me but I saw the corner of his lips turn up and I could clearly tell he was holding back a smile.

"You're trying not to smile!" I pointed to him.
"I am not!"
"Smile."
"What?"
"You're allowed to smile, Luke."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"When you're in school I never see you smile, and I like your smile." I mumbled, soon realising what I had actually just said.

"What was that last part?" He smirked
"What?"
"What was that last part?"
"I never see you smile ?" I answered, hoping he would believe me.
"No, no, no! You said you like my smile!"
"Shut up and clean your shirt, animal."

He laughed and took the shirt off.
Just standing up from the kitchen table, right in front of me, like it was a normal thing to do.. He just took it off.

I hadn't realised I was staring until he spoke up,
"Close your mouth, you'll catch flies."
"Excuse me?"
"Take a picture, it'll last longer." He smirked and I threw my napkin at him.
He then ran up the stairs and returned to the kitchen shortly with a plain black t-shirt on.

"You coming or what?" He asked, gesturing to the kitchen door.
"Coming where?"
"To the living room? Unless you would prefer to sit alone at my parent's kitchen table all night?"
"Yeah sure, just give me a minute." I mumbled before struggling to stand in my wedges and attempting to walk down the hall.

"Can you walk in those?" He laughed.
"I cannot." I laughed too.
"Dude, just take them off."
I just gave up trying to be remotely formal and did as he said and took off the wedges before we both sat down beside each other on the sofa.

We were about forty minutes into Mazerunner when Luke spoke for the first time since he had asked me if that movie was okay.

"Gemma, can I ask you something?"
"Yeah, what's up?"
"Earlier in the kitchen when I told you about the timeshare thing and you kinda freaked,"
"Yeah?"
"Would it really be that bad if our families, ie us- well... um.. I don't know, it doesn't matter."
"Luke, now is not the time to be shy," I laughed, "just say it."

He sighed.
"Would it really be that bad if we were in California together?"

----
a/n - I want to say a massive thank you to the two/three people that vote and occasionally comment!❤️
it means a lot to me 🤗 ilya