Chapter 15

I could leave detention a few minutes earlier than the boys since I had gotten there earlier.

When I left I just walked to the front gate of the school, thinking I had time.
I could hear fast footsteps and panting behind me, implying someone was running.

"Gemma, can I talk to you?" Luke shouted, he sounded angry, so I picked up my pace.

His footsteps were getting closer so I began to run. I got outside the school when his footsteps had stopped. I turned around to see Michael holding his forearm, he said something to him and I could just about make it out.
"Let her go, dude. She's gone, wait until Monday."

I decided on walking home. That's when I saw Ashton at a bus stop further on down the street.

"Hey." I smiled.
He ignored me.
"Can we talk?"
"Nope." He replied bluntly.
"Ashton.."
He stayed silent.

"What's up with you?"
"What's up with me? What's up with me?! What's up with you?!"
"Me?!"
"Yes, you! Ever since I started this school you've been distant and quiet and avoiding me an-and blowing me off and ignoring me and.. And you won't tell me why or even try to explain! So unless it's an explanation followed by an apology.. then no, Gemma, we can't talk." He began walking away.

"Ashton! Wait!" I called
He turned around, waiting for me to say something.. But I stayed silent.
"Yeah, that's what I thought." He began walking away again.
This time, I let him leave.

I had thought about telling Ashton the truth, but that would mean telling him about Michael and I being close, about all the make-up, about Calum, about Michael staying the night and could result in Ashton trying to stand up for me and getting hurt, and I didn't want to expose him to that kind of a risk..

--
When I got home, i went into the living room and watched one episode of the Vampire Diaries before going upstairs.

When I got to the top of the stairs, I noticed Michael's bag was still here, so I decided to text him just to make sure he knew.

your bag is still here by the way.

I got a surprisingly quick response.

M: Where?

here.

M: Where's here?

is this a joke?

M: No, I just forgot where it was

well you know now.

M: I still can't remember..

my house? idiot.

M: Oh yeah.

I didn't reply after that. I just started another episode of the Vampire Diaries.