12) Juey

~•~

Jazmine's Pov.

I am so sick of Huey. I swear that one day I'll burn all his books. Does he know how rude he's being? He sits in his swivel chair, reading. Once again I lie on his bed and play with his pillow.

"Hey Huey, haven't you heard of courtesy?" I ask him. "You know, like, manners and stuff?"

He sighs. "You're beginning to sound like that cheerleader."

I glare at him. "Huey."

"Yes Jazmine. I have," he answers.

"So..." I sit up and kneel on the bed. "You realise that ignoring a guest is rude, don't you?"

He looks up just to scowl at me and looks back at his book. "My apologies, Princess."

I frown at his tone of voice. "You're making me sound like a spoil brat..."

"You kind of are," he says. My frown deepens. He sees this and shrugs. "The truth hurts, deal with it."

"You know what Huey? You're right, the truth does hurt," I stand up. "The truth hurts...a lot."

I walk up to him and spin his chair. He stops it with his foot. "What the hell, Jazmine?"

"I figured that since you won't entertain me, I'll just have to entertain myself," I say. "Or maybe...I'll go hang with Trent."

Huey stares up at me with his finger on his chin. "We both know that won't happen."

"Uh huh," I mock. We stare at each other for a long while, him scowling, me grinning. "Ta, bae," I say.

"Hell no," Huey stands up and grabs my wrist and pulls me to him. "Trent is bad news and you know it."

I blush seeing how close I am to him. He sees this too and let's go of my wrist, but doesn't back away. "Freeman..." I whisper. "You're violating my personal space."

He huffs and a corner of his mouth turns up, as if he's smirking. "Look who's talking."

My eyes lock with his, dart down to his lips, and back up. I part my lips slightly and he does the same. He shakes his head, as if he were in a trance and takes a step back, pulling me out of my trance.

"Huey?"

"Sorry..."

I smile. Ncow. He think he offended me. That's cute. "It's all right. Hey, Huey?"

"Mm?"

"Let's go to the hill," I suggest. "I'd like to watch the sunset...if that's fine with you."

"Uh, yeah," Huey adjusts himself. "Let's, uh...go."

He walks out and I follow.

Cindy's Pov.

"Thanks, Esco, you can go now," I tell Riley after he walks me to the door.

"Yea yea," he turns then stops. "Ya'll got any orange juice?"

I laugh. "Goodbye Reezy!" I shut the door. Da nigga just wanna come in. Well not now. Mah momma prolly gotta nigga with har and I know they be making ah hella noice.

I walk upstairs and walk past my mum's room where I hear springs, yup, I was right. I get to my room and lock the door behind me, grab my headphones and lay on my bed. I listen to my music and log onto Facebook. I've got a friend request from...Carlos Mendez.

I swallow hard and decline the friend request.

I breathe a sigh of relief.

Huey's Pov.

I admit, that thing that happened between Jazmine and I meant nothing. It was just a reflex.

Damn these hormones.

I'm going to be a revolutionary. A hero. A black hero. I don't need love. I don't want love. And I ESPECIALLY don't want to fall for Jazmine DuBois. Not now. Not ever.

She's my opposite. She's all fun and giggles and hugs and kisses. I don't even like being touched. Although I don't even get why she's single, almost half the guys in and out of school throw themselves at her, I asked her why she rejected them all (out of curiosity of course) and she said,

"I'm waiting for the right person, Huey. My soul mate. So far? These perverts aren't on the list."

I thought she was an idiot for saying that. There's so such thing as a "soul mate" and there's no such thing as a "perfect boyfriend." Girls just use that mentality to hide the painful truth.

We're all the same.

Ok, some guys are more perverted than others...but you get my point.

I lean back on the tree stump with my hands behind my head and my eyes shut. Last time I checked, Jazmine sat next to me hugging her knees.

"Oh look Huey! A squirrel!" I hear her say.

"I've seen a squirrel before," I say keeping my eyes shut.

"But its soo cuuuuute! Eee!" Her screech makes me flinch.

Suddenly I feel something sharp on my stomach and shift a little. "Stop it Jazmine."

"I'm not touching you! Its the squirrel, look! Oh please look Huey!" she begs.

I open my eyes. Huh. She was right. A squirrel sits on my stomach on its hind legs. It stares at me with big, round eyes and its tail swishes back and forth, tickling me a bit. But I don't show any signs of humour.

"Isn't it adorable?!" Jazmine cooes. She holds her hands together and slowly moves them closer to the squirrel. "C'mon!"

"Jazmine, it won't--"

The squirrel jumps into Jazmine's cupped hands and sniffs her palm. My eyes widen and I sit up straight. "Amazing..."

"Aww! I think it likes me!" Jazmine holds the squirrel higher and their noses touch. She giggles.

Huh. It's either she really is a princess, or animals just really like her...hm...doubt both.

"I think I'll name you...Juey!"

I raise an eyebrow. The squirrel tilts it's head at her, then jumps out of her hand and climbs the tree, disappearing amongst the leaves. Jazmine frowns. "Aww..."

I shrug and lie back down. "Maybe the thought of being you're pet scared it half to death. And seriously, Juey?"

Her frown deepens. "But...but..." Her bottom lip quivers.

I eye her for a moment and realise its really not a good idea to make her cry or I'll never hear the end of it.

"You know...if you love something and let it go and it comes back, its yours...but if you love something and let it go...and it doesn't come back..." a leaf falls off it's branch and we watch it float to the grass. "It never was."

She stares at the sky. "Do you think Juey will come back?" she asks.

Afer the name she gave it, why would it? But I don't tell her that. "Maybe..."

~•~