20) The visit

~•~

Huey's Pov.

When I woke up again everyone was gone. I look at the table next to my bed. A glass of water next to pills on a plate. I swallow the pills and drink the water.

I think about the people who came to visit. That mixed girl...Jaz...they called her Jazmine. Jazmine...Dupont. I felt a connection with her, I know it.

The door opens. "Huey, you have a visitor."

"Who?"

"She says she's a friend from school. Should I let her in?"

I nod. The nurse disappears and replacing her is a girl. A beautiful girl in jeans and a flowerly blouse with long hair...for some reason I preferred Jazmine's hair.

She sits down on the bed, careful not to sit on me. "Hello, Huey," she says in a British accent.

"Hey there...stranger."

She laughs. "You don't know who I am?"

I shake my head. She smiles. "I'm Julia, your friend."

"Oh...ok."

"Tell me, what do you remember?" she asks.

Kiara's Pov.

"Before the incident?"

"No, I mean basics. People in your life, yourself, you know." I need to know that I didn't mess with his memory completely.

"Uh..." he thinks it over. "I don't think that's your business."

I sigh. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this. I pull out the truth serum from my pocket, inside a small tube and transparent. "Open your mouth."

"No."

Geez. You don't have to be so goddamn stubborn. "Please, Huey. The nurse said I should give it to you, just a drop."

"Why didn't she come do it herself?"

"You don't trust me?" I bat my eye lashes.

He reluctantly opens his mouth, just a bit. I put a drop of the serum on his tongue and wait for it to work. He frowns at the taste. "What the hell was that?"

"Some type of painkiller," I lie. I wait for the serum to take effect, but first test it. "Am I pretty?"

"Yes," he says like a zombie. I smile at myself. Yup.

It worked.

"Who are you Huey?"

"I'm a revolutionist."

"Who's your best friend?"

"Michael Caesar."

I sigh relieved. Good. His memory seems Ok. "Now, is there anyone or anything that you don't remember?"

He frowns. "A girl came in here earlier. She called me her boyfriend...Jaz...Jaz..."

"Jazmine?"

"Yes."

I frown. He forgot Jazmine DuBois. When I hit him it was only meant to make him forget about the night he found out my identity. I've done this a thousand times, what did I do wrong?

This is very bad. I know what its like to lose someone so special. Huey may not feel the loss, but Jazmine does, and I feel incredibly bad for taking this away from her.

I press the button on my earpiece to contact the commander. Huey frowns. "What's that? In your ear?"

"A type of communicating device," I answer whilst it rings.

"Agent Vega," I hear.

"Um, Commander, there seems to be a mistake with Huey," I say.

"What? What happened?" she asks suddenly sounding worried.

"The memory loss was successful. Only problem is..." I sigh. "He forgot someone."

The commander sighs heavily. "Dammit Vega! The one time you make a mistake!"

I flinch hearing her tone of voice. "Is it bad?"

"Not very, he remembers her, but not...her," There's a silence. "Am I making sense, commander?"

"Yes yes," she says impatiently. "You said its not bad?"

"Affirmative."

"Then that won't be a complete disaster. Just do what you went there to do and finish your mission. Mr Freeman is beyond great. We don't want to lose this one," she instructs me.

I nod looking at Huey, who watches me attentively. "Yes commander. Vega out."

I let go of the button and sigh again. "When are you coming out?" I ask him.

"They told me I'd be able to leave tomorrow, I would today but they want to do another check up," he responds.

"Excellent," I say standing up. "Expect a call when you come out gu--" I catch myself. Shit. I was about to call him guapo again. "...Huey."

"Will I see you again?" I hear him ask as I walk towards the door.

I look back at him and smile. "I'm not allowed to tell you...but I will tell you this, expect the unexpected."

He scowls at me, like always. "There's a reason they call it the 'unexpected.'"

"Nothing gets by you, does it?" He continues to glare at me. "Goodbye...carino."

I whisper the last part. Before he responds I leave.

Riley's Pov.

"C'mon Jazzy! Open up!" Cindy bangs the door.

Jazmine's been silent the whole drive back. The moment the car stopped, she just ran out to her room and locked herself in fo hours.

Literally hours. No food. No toilet.

"Aye, les just give her time," I say holding Cindy's wrist to stop her from banging the door. "I don blame her."

"....."

"If you fo got 'bout me? I'd commit suicide," I add.

She frowns and lets me pull her into a hug. "Oh Riley..." she whispers. "Why her?"

I rub her back. "Aye. Da doctor said he'll remember, just give da nigga time, aight?" I pull her away at arms length to see if she cryin. She ain't, but it look like she wanna.

"She said he 'might' remember," she whispers.

"Aye. Stop being ah lil bitch," her face toughens.

"Nigga watchu call me?" I smile hearing her ghetto talk again and not her white voice.

"Das da C-murph I know and love," I kiss her on da forehead and she smiles.

It was awkward at first, but after the kiss on court, we wus able to get together dis past week. It been goin well...until now.

I ain't showin it, but I sho hope dat nigga remembers her...

~•~