14) Julia Andrews

~•~

Huey's Pov.

I was sitting in class when I heard shouting in the hallway. We all heard it. Then we saw pass by the door, a boy with cornrows. I sigh heavily.

What did that idiot do this time?

Jazmine sees this and presses her lips together. "I wonder what he did this time..."

Its like she read my mind. The door opens to reveal our teacher, Mr Dupont followed by a younger girl. "Class!" He gets everyone's attention. "We have a new student, everyone, I'd like to introduce, Julia Andrews." The boys in class whistle and make cat calls.

The girl smiles at all of us. She has a white name, but her skin's black. I only bring my attention to this because we don't get a lot of black students. We are in Woodcrest after all.

Her long, brown hair stops at her mid-back and she gazes at us with dark eyes. I lean back in my seat and subconsciously tap my chin with my finger. Jazmine glances at me, and looks at Julia, then looks back at me, with a nervous look.

"You can sit down, Julia, there's a free space," Mr Dupont points at the empty desk next to me. "Or anywhere else."

Julia browses through, and walks down with her books clutched to her chest. She sits down next to me. She catches me watching her and smirks. "This seat taken?" British. She has a British accent.

"Does the invisible man count?" I ask back. I hate obvious questions.

She holds her hands up. "I had that coming." She holds her hand out. "Julia."

I eye it. "I heard."

She pulls back and pretends to be hurt. "You are?"

"Huey Freeman," I say.

"Huey Freeman..." she smirks. "So you're the sexy chocolate the girls druel over..." Her eyes look at my afro, down my strong figure and back at my face. "I can see why."

I don't respond and just rub my thumb and index finger together. What's with this girl? What's with the accent? Most black people here are ghetto. The only reason me and Jazmine don't speak like that is because were...civilised.

"Hi!" Jazmine squeaks from behind me.

Julia breaks her gaze with me and looks back at Jazmine. "Hello."

"I'm Jazmine!" she says extending her hand.

Julia leans over and extends her hand to Jazmine, showing me a lot of cleavage. "You know who I am."

They exchange giggles and I roll my eyes. "Where are you from?" Jazmine asks hearing her accent.

"Kensington," Julia responds.

"Well, welcome to Maryland," Jazmine smiles warmly.

"Thank you," she leans back. "I'm sure I'll enjoy it..." She eyes me. "Very much."

~•~

Cindy's Pov.

"What wus dat all 'bout?" I ask Riley in the cafeteria. "And why wus you so late?"

We're the first ones at the table. "Dat bitch wanna send me to detention fo jack!" He says. "I wanted to tell ya. I gots dope!"

"Fo real?" I say. "Where it at?"

"At home, but after skoo? Imma show ya, man Ed n Rummy gots tons of it! Now I do to!" He sighs happily. "Escobar Riley gon rule dis skoo. Drug dealer and gansta!"

I chuckle. "You gon lemme get sum of dat?"

"Cindy baby, all bitches can have sum of dis..." He gestures at his body.

I laugh. "No you idiot! I meant da dope!"

"Oh? Yea. Man I caint wait to get high!"

"Get high on what?" A voice comes from behind us. We turn our heads.

I smile nervously. "Sup Huey."

He sighs and walks around the table to sit across us. Jazmine sits next to him. "What're you idiots up to this time?"

"Main we gon get high!" Riley tells him.

Huey glares at him. "You're gonna go to Juvie."

"Nigga shut up!" Riley says. "You alwaya hatin'! Damn!"

"Fine then, I can't wait. It'll be the most peaceful months of my life," Huey responds.

Riley just glares at him and goes back to eating.

"Yo yo yo!" Caesar sits down between me and Riley. I frown. "Ya'll seen that fine chocolate earlier? What her name?"

"I seen her nigga!" Riley says. "She in yo class ain't she McHater?"

Huey rolls his eyes. "Yeah."

"Man how come ya'll gets da good ones! I'd tear dat ass up!" Riley and Caesar fist bump.

I clear my throat. Riley looks at me and swallows hard. "Um..nevermind."

Jazmine's Pov.

After school...

Me and Huey walk back together. I watch him walk. He stares straight foward with the perfect posture and his hands in his front pockets.

I noticed how he stared at Julia. Don't get me wrong, she's pretty, she's beautiful, but I'm afraid Huey likes her...its not fair. I had him first, we even went on a date, I think, I just don't know if he likes me. I hope he does.

"Huey...what do you think of Julia?" I ask him as we walk.

"I've only known her for a day," he says.

There's a silence. "Do...do you think that she's...um..."

"What?"

"She's...prettier than me?" I ask holding myself.

"Honestly Jazmine? I don't pay attention to those kind of things," he says.

"So you don't think I'm pretty?" I ask.

He finally looks at me. "I didn't say that."

I take a deep breath. "Huey, there's something I have to tell you...I know we've been friends these past years and all and this might be awkward, but..." I blush.

Huey sighs. "....you like me."

I sigh, not shy anymore but embarrassed. "Yes...I do, I really do. I never thought I would but I guess it just...happend?" I stare down and watch my feet. "And...I wanna know if you like me too."

"....."

"Huey?"

Huey's Pov.

"....."

"Huey?" Tears well up in her eyes. Damn. I don't need her crying all over me. Because I take too long to respond, she sniffs and walks faster. "I knew this was a bad idea."

"Why's that?" I ask keeping up with her.

"Because you don't like me back..." she sniffs again.

"I don't remember saying that," I tell her.

She stops walking and turns her head to me. "What then? Do you like me or not? Huey can you just tell me instead of just standing there and leaving me to--"

"Do you ever stop talking?" I interrupt.

She looks at me wide-eyed and glares at me, she begins to walk again. "...that wasn't necessary."

"So was your rambling," I add.

Caesar's Pov.

"So you're gonna take me home from now on?" Tina asks me. I hold her hand as we walk to my car.

"Yea. If that's wut you want," I say.

She hugs my arm. "I'd like that..."

I kiss her forehead. "Me too, girl."

~•~