16) Huey's Suspects

~•~

Huey's Pov.

"Riley," I call walking into his room. He lies on his bed counting coke. I frown. "If Granddad catches you--"

"He won't! Damn nigga dontchu knock? Close da door!"

I close the door behind me.

"Da fuck you want?" he asks going back to arrange his coke.

I toss the note on the bed and it catches his eye. "Do you know where this came from?"

Riley quickly scans the note. He bites his lip and shakes his head. "Naw..."

"I swear Riley if this is some kind of prank--"

"I ain't lyin!" He interrupts. "You really think I'd write like dis?" He shows me the note with beautifully curvy handwriting.

Hm. True. But..."You could've gotten Cindy to write it for you."

"C-murph? Naw man she straight up gangsta just like her homie!" He says patting his chest.

"Don't forget she's also white. She could be all 'sophisticated' if she wanted to," I say snatching the note back.

Riley doesn't comment, he just sucks his front teeth, realising I'm right and there's nothing he can do about it. "Mane whateva," he says. "All I know is dat I never wrote dat note, so did C-murph."

"Mmhm," I glare at him. "Fine."

I walk back to my room and lie on my bed, I read the note over and over again until I fall asleep.

After hours...

Jazmine's Pov.

For once I actually wake up early. I guess I was just too happy to sleep. After doing my morning stuff I stroll to the Freeman house and knock on the door. Huey opens the door with his bag slung over his shoulder wearing a dark cargo jacket with a black top underneath. He wears baggy jeans and boots.

"Morning, boyfriend!" I say.

Huey arches an eyebrow. "Are you actually trying to be dumped?"

"Sorry! I'm just so happy!" I hug him tight.

"Jazmine...can't...breathe," he gasps.

"Oh! Sorry!" I pull away. "Hehe. Sometimes I just don't know my own strength."

"Uh huh," he looks back. "Riley! Let's go!"

"Wait up nigga! Damn!"

We wait for a minute. "We leavin' you're ass!" Huey yells into the house.

At that moment, Riley jogs down the stairs. "I'm comin'! Damn!"

He catches up and we walk to school. I can't wait to tell Cindy!

At school...

We find our gang standing at their usual spot by the entrance before the bell rings. Caesar, Cindy, Hiro and Ming. The Chinese and the Asian have being distant lately.

"Hi guys!" I greet.

"Aye yo Jazay!" Caesar responds first.

"Hey, Caesar, can I talk to you alone?" Huey asks his best friend.

Caesar's cheery mood disappears and he gets a serious face. "Yea yea. C'mon."

They walk into the school leaving us. Hiro looks at me and Riley. "What was that about?"

I shrug. "I dunno."

"Ain't mah problem," Riley says.

"Omg! Guys, I have something to announce..." I say. "Huey and I are dating!"

Ming screams with me and Cindy just smiles, probably not wanting to spoil her image.

"Shut up!" Riley says as he and Hiro cover their ears.

"Finally!" Ming says.

"Yea. I thought dat nigga was gay or sum shit," Cindy says.

Caesar and Huey walk out and meet with us.

"I knew you wasn't gay Huey!" Cindy spits.

All eyes go to her and Huey glares at me. I blush.

Huey's Pov.

Ok. Caesar doesn't know what's up with the note either. He told me he wanted to stay with me after school hours, but I told him that wasn't necessary. I really think its prank.

Jazmine's too...sweet to do this, naíve too.

Hiro...no.

Ming...we have grudges but it can't be her.

Riley...too stupid.

Cindy...possibly. But the handwriting's too different from hers.

"What're you thinking about Huey?" Jazmine asks me as we walk to our lockers.

I glance at her and once again witness  her honest face, eyes innocent as an angels. She flutters her long eye lashes and her curls bounce as she takes her light steps.

Definitely not her.

I shouldn't tell her...should I? She'll just freak out and cry or something. She'll probably nag me not to go.

"Nothing. Just...school," I answer as I enter my combination.

She glances at the schedule stuck inside her locker and frowns. "Aww! We're not in the first period together!" she whines.

"You'll survive," I say with an eye roll.

"Oh well! See you next period, babe," she kisses me on the cheek.

She skips away. "Don't call me that..." I mumble to myself also trying to hide my blush.

"Aw, how cute," a feminine voice says on my other side.

I'd recognise that British accent anywhere. I shut my locker to reveal Julia leaning on the locker next to mine, dressed in a tight black crop to with the word 'Sexy' on it in white, short shorts and black thigh high boots. Her hair is down her shoulders.

I hate to admit it, but she really is the look printed on her top.

"Julia," I say, keeping my eyes on her face.

"Sexy chocolate," she responds with a sly smile. "So, what're you starting with?"

"We have the same schedule," I say.

"Wonderful," she walks on my side. "We can walk together then."

We walk to glance. I can't help to glance at her a few times. Her hair streams behind her as she walks and everytime we pass some other nigga, they either whistle or tell her that she can do better than me. I ignore their comments.

In class we sit down next to each other. One guy whistles from the back. "Hey baby! Come sit with us! Freeman's weird!"

Julia just chuckles and raises an eyebrow at me. "Weird?" She rests her chin on her palm. "That's just my type then."

I stare at her and the teacher walks in silencing the class.

Riley's Pov.

"Man I hate dodge ball!" I say as I walk out of the changing room with one of mah classmates. Cindy walks from the girls' changing room to my side. "Aye C-murph, wanna ditch?"

She glares at me. "Nigga you just dont wanna play 'cause you suck!"

"I do not!"

"Uh huh," she rolls her eyes.

"Bitch dontchu roll yo eyes at me!"

"Call me ah bitch one mo time, Reezy, call me ah bitch one mo mutha fuckin time..." she eyes me and I walk away from her a bit.

"Aight! Chill..."

I scan the easy targets on the basketball court, my eyes land on a Puerto Rican wearing shorts and a muscle top. He sends Cindy a toothy smile and she blushes and shrinks. I glare at him.

They put me and Cindy on the same team while Carlos stays on the opposing team. Heh. Dat Puerto Rican can say, "Adios."

~•~