19 // A Royal Suitor

I gave my parents and sister one last goodbye as I got in my carriage headed to the Kingdom of Nyester. I was requested as a suitor for King Mark, who was one of the most handsome – and polite – King in all the land. I really didn't know much about him, other than what my father, King Asrel, had told me upon being asked to go there. I accepted, as there was no use in putting up an argument that I was sure to lose.

I knew that Tom, who was the old King and Mark's older brother, just wanted someone rightful for his brother, even if it meant pulling girls from neighboring kingdoms. I could understand that, though. Just wanting something good for your younger sibling, I did for my little sister.

I looked out of the carriage window, woods just passing by in a blur, a nagging voice in my head asking, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we? Are we?"

When we reached Nyester, the horse came to a stop, then the driver peeked in through the front of the carriage, telling me that we were here. I smiled politely, thanking him for taking me here. When I turned toward the door, it was being opened. When it opened fully, a man with a butler's suit was standing there, his hand outstretched to help me out. I gratefully took his hand, pulling up the gown I had to put on because I had to look formal upon my first meeting with the Prince.

I walked up the stairs, the butler following behind me with the suitcase I had brought. As I neared the door, once again, it was opened, and a few different girls were standing about the entrance, chit-chattering about random things. "Ma'am, I will take your things to your room, it will have your name on it." With that, the butler walked up the set of stairs on the left of the entrance room to the castle. I looked around in amazement, marveling at the size and beauty of just the first room alone.

As I stood, I started to listen to the conversations of the other girls – there were about 7 in all. They varied from the trip out here, to how King Mark was in─ I'm not gonna finish that thought. After a few more minutes of looking around, I heard a booming voice come from the top of the stairs. It was none other than the old King, Thomas. "Welcome, ladies, to our humble abode. I am Thomas, or Tom for short. My Brother will be out shortly, as he is eager to meet all of you."

The other girls giggled, some clapped, while others curtsied to the Elder. I just smiled, still looking up at him. Soon, steps were heard, then a man appeared. King Mark. His black hair was combed to the side, his suit looked freshly washed and ironed. His chocolate eyes scanned over the girls, making eye-contact with me for a moment, then flashing a small smile. I blushed and looked down, secretly happy that he smiled at me. "Mark, would you like to introduce yourself?"

"Why, yes I would, brother. Hello, my name is Mark. It is my greatest pleasure to meet such beautiful women as yourselves." His eyes once again met mine, sending a small red dust to my cheeks and thousands of little butterflies in my stomach. All the girls in the room curtsied, including myself. Mark bowed back, then Tom spoke once again, "Our Butlers will see you all to your rooms."

"Actually, Brother, I would like to see one of them to her room." Tom extended his hand, giving Mark the 'go ahead.' Mark walked down the stairs, his eyes not fixed on any one girl. As he reached the last step, he finally looked at me. I started to blush once again, causing him to chuckle slightly. The other girls let out a small sigh, then realized he wasn't looking toward one of them but toward me, instead. They all turned around, giving me a stare full of the sharpest of knives. I took a small step back, worried at what might happen. Mark cleared his throat, taking his last steps to me. "Please, tell me your name, beautiful."

"Y-Y/n, my name is Y/n." Finally having the courage to speak and look at him, I responded, my voice shaky and nervous. The other girls seemed to be seething in anger upon hearing the softness and shakiness of my voice. I started to shake myself, only slightly and looked back at King Mark. He held out his arm for me to take, and turned to address the other ladies. "Ladies, our butlers will be here to take you to your rooms in just a few moments, so please, sit tight."