116 | these things happen.

i know it isn't an ego fic, but i've been so bogged down and stressed out that this is the first fic i've been able to write in months. i do apologize for the delay, and i'm going to try to keep updating regularly, but we'll have to see. also i hope you don't mind just the reg mark, even if i do have sooo much more to do. :)

WARNINGS | slight assault, a lil(ot) of cussing!

There were some serious perks to going on tour.

You got to go all over the US, you got to see so many fans and people's adoration for Mark, you were able to get closer to the friends you considered your family. There were also various small ones: getting knick-knacks, prime attitude at three in the morning, an attunement of your Go-Fish skills.

But, there were also some downsides.

The main one was a bit of problem – people didn't know you were Mark's girlfriend. They hadn't really seen you in much, so if you were to show up in front of them, half of them wouldn't know who you were. And maybe that was cool, because you didn't have to worry about fans just constantly asking questions about Mark and how he was as a boyfriend.

It's just, every time you want to be alone with Mark, you have to seriously be alone. No people around, no fans, no public. The fans would always know Mark, no matter what he wore on his head, and if you happened to be with him, it'd be never-ending backlash. That was the last thing you wanted for him.

Sighing out and breaking your own train of thought, you looked around the bus. Tyler wasn't in the main area, so he was probably asleep in the back. Ethan was sleeping on the small couch beside you, Mark was sitting in the small table, and Bob, Kathryn, and Wade were also back where Tyler was, probably also sleeping.

You stood up from the couch, being sure to stay quiet so as to not wake the boy at the other end. You took the two steps it would take to sit across the table from Mark, and the two of you silently said hi to one another with a small nod.

Mark was sat closest to the window, arm draped over the back of the booth, and mind lost in thought. He looked as though he was looking out the window, but there wasn't anything the man was focusing on. He was just there.

You silently wondered if there was enough space to sit beside Mark, just because it was quiet and now was the best time, but you doubted he wanted anyone beside him at the moment. So, the two of you just sat, staring out the window. You thought of all the possibilities of which your life could be.

You could've never met Mark, never had the chance to do any of this. You wouldn't have had the beautiful chance of falling in love with him, either. Maybe, instead, you'd be watching from the sidelines, falling in love through a screen and never having it returned. But hey, maybe in all of the ways your life could've gone, you always would have ended up having Mark there, in some fashion.

A breath left your lips and your eyes flitted over to Mark, only to catch his stare. He looked as though he'd been looking at you for a while, admiring everything he had, as he always said. You smiled at him, a tired look consuming your face.

He smiled back, hand falling from off the back of the booth to its seat, patting it softly. You took the opportunity and scooted in beside him, having just enough room to prop your legs up on the other seat and lean your head on his shoulder.

It was nice to be this close with him, nice to have him as yours.

"So," he said quietly, not quite whispering, but not talking loud either, "how's it hangin'?"

You laughed a little, "Pretty well. How you doin'?"

Your drop in tone caused a giggle to erupt from him as he caught your reference, "Okay. I'm doing pretty okay."