94 // You Have to Go

Moans, cracks, shakes, screams, cries. 

That's what the end of the world was like. That's what it sounded like when people were left to fend for themselves because the governments had fallen and everyone's dying. And that's what happens when scientists think they know best for the world or that they're suddenly the all-seeing eye and are able to predict what happens.

The shaking is what had you and your fellow survivor stuck. The moans of the infected were coming from your right, the cracks in the asphalt of the old road were coming in front of you, and screams and cries were coming from your left. You were trying your best to stay balanced with your hands out to the side and he was trying to stay balanced by keeping his fingertips and feet on the shaking earth.

"This is fucking ridiculous," you cried out, falling back a little before catching yourself. Looking behind you, you saw a gaping crevice that had just formed mere seconds ago, which almost guaranteed certain death.

"Walk to me, y/n," Mark, the fellow survivor at your side, suggested.

"Are you insane!? I can't move!"

"Just do it! Crouch like me, and make your way over here!"

You did as he said, sighing and shaking your head while mumbling profanities under your breath. Once you were about two or three feet away, Mark made a small leap to you and stood the both of you up, wrapping his arms around you.

It was relieving to feel his arms holding your body close to his, but it was also concerning. His head was in the crook of your neck until he pulled away and looked at you, glancing over your face.

"Mark, what's wrong?"

More cracks, loud and blistering to any normal human's ears. You placed your hands over each other's ears – something you'd always done when it came to the earth collapsing upon itself. When they ceased and the shaking got a little more violent, you pulled your hands away from his ears and prompted him to answer your question.

"You have to go," he whispered, his brown irises slowly disappearing as he looked down and blinked.

"What?"

"You have to go. You have to get out of here."

"Mark! No, I'm not leaving! Not without you!" 

He shook his head, looking back up at you with determination in his eyes. A few more loud cracks sounded, but you didn't cover his ears and he didn't cover yours. With those said cracks, yet another crevice appeared behind you, meaning there was no way the both of you were going to be able to get across. 

"It's a direct split, y/n. I can get you to the other side, and that's it."

"No, Mark. No, no, no. I'm not going anywhere," you kept pleading, trying to reason with him.

He shook his head again, explaining once more, "I can get you over there, y/n. You can't get me over there, and I can't make the jump."

"We can find another way! I'm sure there are some back roads that'll lead us back to camp!"

"There aren't, y/n. And I'm not going to let you die like this. Not if I have a say in it."

With that, he pulled you to his lips and kissed you hard, darting his tongue over your own lips and nipping at them one last time. When you pulled away, he nodded at you and picked you up in a way that would give him the most strength to throw you to the other side.

"Mark, please, don't do this." 

He said nothing. He just placed a kiss on your forehead and used the rest of the power he had in his arms to throw you to the other side. You landed with a thud and looked up, watching Mark drop to his knees. 

He knew the infected was behind him at that point. Looking up at you one last time, he threw one last thing over before getting swallowed by the hoard. You let out a scream, reaching out for something you'd never be able to touch again. Tears soaked your face as you hit your hand on the wasting asphalt, wishing that you could've done something. But it was too late. 

As you looked up and saw the thing Mark threw at you, you only started to cry more. 

It was the knife he'd gotten with the two of your wedding rings as part of the grip. The blade was engraved with the words you'd always said to each other before all of this happened, and the last words you'd seen him whisper.

"For eternity."